iphone question *desperately in need of an answer*

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gothamm, Nov 18, 2007.

1. gothamm macrumors 6502a

ok so i am already in a two year agreement with ATT.

my agreement expires in feb 2009

my question is that would i have to extend my contract another two years if i want to buy an iphone, or can i just add an iphone data plan to my existing account.

other words, i dont want to extend my contract for 2 more years. i still want it to end on feb 2009, and just add the data plan for an extra 20 a month.

is that possible?

2. srichart1 macrumors member

srichart1

Extend

The Iphone requires a 2 year agreement, so it will extend your current one by at least 2 years.

3. chriswheat macrumors regular

4. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I bought my iPhone about 3-4 months after buying a BlackBerry Pearl from AT&T. At the time of the BB purchase I had to renew my 2 year agreement to get the good price. When I purchased my iPhone I did have to sign up for a 2 year agreement but they seemed to forgive my prior agreement. This weekend a friend of mine did same thing with the same results -- a new two year agreement starting the day of the iPhone purchase not 2 years tacked on to the previous agreement.

It seems that the iPhone is the only phone that AT&T has that will allow you to not fully honor the time term in your previous agreement. I am not 100% positive, but it certainly looks this way. I would imagine that Apple specifically created this "exception" to provide more people access to the iPhone sooner.

Obviously, you should confirm this with AT&T before moving foward.

5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

It's true, you're contract will reset with two years starting from the day you activate the iphone. So you won't go 2009+2 years, it will be X date+2 years...so you're really only getting locked into an ATT contract for another 9-10 months over where you'd ordinarily be out of contract.