Iphone question for a student [EDIT]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattyK, May 17, 2008.

1. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

Hey guys, i know how the 3g iphone is coming out next month or around.
    But i'm in highschool and i live in australia where 3g is covered, but i really don't find the need for it, like, gps, mms, and all that. bluetooth would be fixed in an update aswell.
    so i was thinking if 2g would be the way to go?
    Like after the 3G iphone comes out, the 2G will drop in prices, which is predicted. and i just want some advice as to what i should do?
    Thanks in advance

Matt:apple:

EDIT: a thought just crossed my mind. In america, their power point voltage is somewhat lower to here in australia. and connecting the iphone to a wall charger might blow it. what are you're thoughts on this?

2. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

buy my current one for $450 the day b4 the stevenote

3. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

why? isn't the price going to drop the day AFTER 3g is released?

4. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

It likely will - possibly they won't sell them at all and you will have to buy it used, but you could get a deal on it.

5. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

Mm thats what i was planning to do, maby buy one from the states from ebay or somthing, or from here. I'm not sure. But not many iphones have been bashed around, because honestly who would want to scratch an iphone?

6. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

I think you'd be surprised on the condition they get into. I'd be careful buying used.

7. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

If you are in high school you probably use prepay too. While the new one will be tits to have once it's released, do you really want to spend your hard earned cash on mobile internet or on an expensive plan for the next 2 years?

Wait until the new one is released and see what happens to prices on the old ones. Chances are, even in Aussie, the people are going to be desperate to get rid of their old iPhone for the new ones.

8. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

yeah. because where i live actually at my house there are 3 wifi hotspots alone, stupid neighbours. don't have passwords :p i steal their internet
    shh.
    mm because i've got around $250. and my mums giving me $100 for it because i did somthing important for her earlier this year. so i'm not sure if i should work extra hours or see if i can get a deal for 2G for $350.

9. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

lol, stupid neighbors.
    anyways i was joking about buying mine - im selling on ebay for upwards of $550 - stupid ebayers!!!
    DO NOT BUY UNTILL THE 3G comes out as the EDGE iPhone will drop in price due to a glut of iPhone being sold, i would recommend just waiting for the 3G iPhone in oz in june as it will cost $499 for 8gb (same as 16gb iPt) and that way you get it new - YAY.
    Neways where in OZ do you live?

10. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

I mean, what makes you think "But not many iphones have been bashed around, because honestly who would want to scratch an iphone?" You have no proof of this so I'd just be careful in regards to it. Not everybody uses a case, and not every case stops the iPhone from getting scratched.

11. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

Mm. that is true, i was also thinking of buying the white switcheasy slide case, it's pretty good. looks nice too.

and i live in sydney, cronulla iCantWait, thanks for the help you guys, i think i might still wait for the 3g iphone to come out, and see how big the price drop is on the iphone 2G and if it's alot i'll buy it. depends how much 3G would be here.

12. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Yeah, I'm in the same position... waiting for those prices to drop, then when everyone's out for the new phones I'm gonna get myself the unlocked 16gb edge iphone on e-bay, and what concerns internet speed and all I'm gonna be using wifi anyway, and I'm on pay as you go too. **** being locked down with a tariff. :rolleyes: I get good enough deals on PAYG anyhow.

13. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

i was thinking of 16gb, not sure what the pricerange would be after WWDC though

14. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

Thoughts on the edit, the North American plug on the wall charger comes off. Just buy an Aussie replacement. Shouldn't be too much money.

Plus the wall charger converts the voltage so you could also just use an adapter. Or actually any USB wall charger will work.

15. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

oh okay, thanks. because i was in north america last year, and we got told several times that the voltage in america is lower than australia and we could blow the device we bought. so you can actually take the american plug off? The only thing different to it to the australian is that it has a round earth, as to ours is rectangle

16. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

nope works fine. I've been using mac products back forth now for a while and have no trouble

I eventually had to buy this http://store.apple.com/au/product/M8794G/B

but an official USB charger is $10 cheaper.

17. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

mm. i might buy a usb wall charger from the apple store when i get my iphone. how much do you predict the iphone 2G will drop in price after 3G is released?

18. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

It depends if the new iPhones will be as easy to unlock. But the prices in America will drop regardless. But it depends in Aussie how Optus and Vodafone choose to sell the phone whether they will require a a contract and how expensive they are. I predict.