iPhone Questions: Contract, Phone, Internet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nakile, Mar 2, 2008.

1. nakile macrumors regular

After thinking of getting an iPod Touch for a few months, I decided to scratch that and go for the full deal. At first I though I would have no use for a phone, but I'm starting to get into the position where having one would be very useful.

Either way, I'll most likely wait until June or so to see what Apple pulls out of its Bag of Tricks. No hurry.

Ok, straight to the point...

1. Lets say that I'm in a classroom, library, or some other place with a similar atmosphere and I want to use EDGE to get online, but I don't want to receive any calls or be bothered by a call. Is is possible to shut the ringer and vibration off and have a call automatically sent to voicemail?

2. I've seen all types of numbers on how fast EDGE is, but what matters is how fast it is in the real world. I don't like slow Internet, but at the same time I'm very tolerant. I'd say my tolerance point is about 6-8 seconds. If I still have blank page after that, I start to get a little annoyed.

3. How exactly does does getting a contract work when your under 18? I know that it has to go under my parents names obviously, but how does that whole procedure work? I have several questions for this alone, so I think I'll wait for somebody to post who has experience with this and ask them if they don't mind.

4. What's the real world battery life on this? Every day on average, I'd most likely use EDGE for a few hours, Wi-Fi for another few, the phone for under half an hour, and maybe some music for an hour or so. How far would a full charge bring me with that much usage? Also, how long does charging take?

I might think of a few more things later on. Either way, thanks in advance.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1) EDGE automatically shuts down the ability to make or receive phone calls.

2) Either EDGE or WiFi take a little longer than a traditional browser because the page has to be reformatted, and any phone numbers listed turned into links, but 2-3 seconds should begin to yield content. About 10 seconds to load a large page (like TotalFark), with images continuing to load for another 5-10 seconds.

3) If it is part of their plan, then there shouldn't be a problem, you just have to make sure they transfer it to you when you turn 18, or you won't be able to keep your number.

4) I use mine everyday, and if I charge it after I get home from work, and take it with me to bed (for emergency calls), then use it all day at work as an iPod, to check the weather, make calls, and listen to music from webpages, all with bluetooth on, I come home and still have about 2/3 of a charge left.

TEG

3. nakile thread starter macrumors regular

1. You mean there is absolutely no way of knowing when I get a call when I'm using EDGE?

2. So 20 seconds to fully load a page? That doesn't sound that bad. Why are people complaining so much?

3. My parents and I don't have any contract with AT&T at the moment. My iPhone would be the first. I'm sure that changes a few things...

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

1. Yep. No calls when using EDGE. They will go to voicemail without you knowing you even received a call.

2. I think 20 seconds is a bit optimistic. A site like CNN - 60 seconds, Macrumors - 45 seconds. I use the mobile sites when possible Mobile ESPN, Foxnews, or CNN Mobile take about 5-10 seconds to load.

3. Your parents will have to sign up for the account or at least co-sign with you.

5. nakile thread starter macrumors regular

Something else just came across my mind. It's about roaming.

How much roaming does AT&T allow? I figure it would be something like half of what the plan I choose offers, right?

But what about data? I know for a fact that they can't possibly offer unlimited data on a partners network. How does this work?

6. nakile thread starter macrumors regular

Also, how much are the taxes on the monthly payment? I would assume that there are state taxes (obviously), but what else is there?