Iphone questions - help please!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Carmy, May 8, 2011.

1. Carmy macrumors member

Hi all,

Just got my first iphone...it was love at first touch.

It's an iphone 3gs..I decided against forking out a heap of money for the iphone 4 when the iphone 5 is on the horizon so I got this from my boyfriend until that time comes. But man do I love it. I switched from Android..I don't care what anyone says I wouldn't go back if you gave me a free android phone. Apple all the way. (still surprised it took me so long as I am a loyal MBP user)

Question (aimed more at people in the UK I guess)

I know iphone 5 is not out, but from your experiences with the iphone 4...

1) Will the contract AND pay as you go versions come out at the same time?
    2) Is there a waiting list for people or is it first come first served in the shop?
    3) Can you get a simlock free one (ie: I can use it with a foreign sim) ...& if you can, is that more expensive?

Ridiculous questions posted FAR too early - but I am so excited for iphone 5...come on Apple make some announcements!

Thanks. :)

2. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

1. Nope, I gave up waiting for a sim free version and ended up getting on contract.
    2. For O2 it was only people who had a contract, it will be similar for other providers this time around.
    3. You can get sim free, straight from Apple. However it takes months for them to come out as all the Telco's snap up all the stock. Plus Apple keep some behind for replacements.
    Btw make sure you get AroundMe, awesome app and it is free!

3. Carmy thread starter macrumors member

Hey,

Thanks for your speedy reply!

Guess I won't be able to get one straight away then.

I live in Turkey and you can't even get an iphone 4 right now...it's about 2400 lira (which is £950) pay as you go so everyone wants to buy it on contract as you pay for the phone over a period of 18 months and you get free calls, inet, txts etc. but there is a huge waiting list (up to 6 months in one shop) for the iphone 4 on a contract. If you go into a Vodafone shop and ask they say sorry all sold out. Talk about demand!

Sorry, bit off topic there..thanks again for your reply. :)

4. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

You could always pop over to the UK. As we are one of the bigger markets, we get more stock. With the strong Euro you could be quids in!

5. Carmy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, yeah I'm due to come over in October to see family so I hope i'll be able to get my hands on one then.

PS. I only got it yday and I spent a good few hours researching apps and downloadings them (it's way too easy to press 'Buy' ;)) I mostly downloaded camera related apps but I got 'Around me' and I love it.