iPhone Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OregonRob, Jan 13, 2015.

1. OregonRob macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, as you can tell, I'm new to this forum... I'm currently an Android user, but am very seriously considering the iPhone 6... In the past I never really cared for Apple products, they seemed more complicated to me, or perhaps just alien because I've always been a windows user... But the past few years I've had some very negative issues with some android products, and frankly, I hate that you can't really get a 'high quality' android phone anymore without it being entirely to big to hold 1 handed... (Seriously? Why is there a need for 5+ inch phones?

Most recently I've for the last year and a half had a Galaxy S4... I'm quite happy with the 4.7" size, and equally happy to stay in that size or be smaller, so I was happy to see that Apple dropped the iPhone 6 with the 4.7" screen...

But I'm still somewhat hesitant to switch despite several family and friends telling me that iPhone's are far superior I've got an equal number of Android fanatics telling me to stick with it...

Big problems I have atm with Android include:

-Slow updates from carrier leaving buggy laggy phone at times
    -Overheating and quickly draining battery (seriously, browse facebook or the news for 5 minutes and my battery drops to 85% and could be used as a viable hand warmer in Alaska or Minnesota right now...)
    -Bloatware that runs whether I want it to or not...

So I'm just curious if anyone here can give me some viable, unbiased opinions on whether it's worth the switch?

My biggest concerns:

-Will it be easy to swap everything (ringtones, email accounts, etc) over to iOS during the switch?
    -Is the battery life really as great as Apple claims, and does it heat up? (I've heard mixed reviews concerning this area)

My other big question is whether to get the 6, or wait... My upgrade per contract (I'm with Verizon) is in the middle of June... So I'll fall right in that time when Samsung has just released it's next giant monstrosity so naturally my local Verizon store will be selling it up and bashing the iPhone (fell to this ruse with the S4 unfortunately..)

Anyways.. June upgrade.. Should I go with the 6, or should I hold onto the upgrade until September when the 6S or whatever the next model is called becomes available? Again, I've heard mixed opinions.. Been told the next 'in between' model will just be slightly tweaked as all the other 'S' models have been so far, so it doesn't make a difference, but I figure iPhone fans can give me the best opinion..

Thanks for your time... :):D

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The great battery life claim to fame really belongs to the 6+, but the 6 isn't too shabby in terms of battery life. It's certainly not going to overheat and the battery won't drain to 85% within 5 minutes so you have nothing to worry about.

Waiting for the 6s doesn't make sense given the issues you're having with Androids so go for it.

3. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

you have one answer just above-
    -Will it be easy to swap everything (ringtones, email accounts, etc) over to iOS during the switch?
    email accounts will be very easy, just choose the type in settings and put your user name and password.
    For the ringtones, I am able to use a couple of custom ringtones that I've made, but have to do it through iTunes. You will have a bit of a learning curve in the walled garden, but totally worth it and doable.
    There is nothing that you will want to do that you can't google and come up with a quick and easy answer. you won't have to read a user manual to accomplish what you want. The the devices do not get hot at all, Apple will swap it out if you get one that does.
    I have the 6 with a 4.7 screen and the battery life is pretty good. it lasts me all day and I am checking email and texting my other half all day long. the iPhones prior to this one would not go a full day for me. last night when I plugged in my phone I still had 47% left. that is pretty typical for me.
    I have relatives that are Android fanatics - they are hard to combat. I've used both and it is Apples' system hands down for me.
    Hope this is a bit helpful. I am pro Apple because I've tried both.

4. OregonRob thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both,

@Ron7624: If you don't mind me asking, did you switch because of similar issues to the ones I'm having with Android, or were you giving it a try and liked iOS more?

5. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Yes and yes. I tried both, and iOS worked fluidly for me while android was laggy at the time. I was a windows guy and wanted to like android, but found it unusable. I later bought an android tablet, wanting to keep up and give it another chance but it got hot to the touch and I could not customize it without causing problems that made it a frustration to use.
    I bought an iPad to replace it and haven't looked back.
    My son in law just had a G3 stolen... But is always trying to turn me and says the laggieness is gone and all is perfect in his world, but now I'm so used to iOS and used to not having problems that I can't see it.
    iPhones are not perfect, nothing is, but the support they give will help solve most any problem you might have IMO.

6. OregonRob thread starter macrumors newbie

Lag? Gone? *dies laughing*

Hi, this is the ghost of OregonRob, I'm here to let you know that I have a Nexus 7 2013, and since it updated to Android 5.0 I've been kinda getting angry with it... laggy as a mofo, and Chrome is buggy as hell and crashes CONSTANTLY in 5.0 right now... It also heats up a lot like my S4 does...

and yeah, one of my 'pro android' friends has a G2, just got his gf a G3, and talks whenever the subject comes up about how great it is... But build quality was an issue for me on a lower end LG device, so I don't trust it, and HTC can take a long walk off a short pier...

I've thought about getting an ipad mini 2 now that the price dropped (I've read that the only upgrade on the mini 3 was the touch id stuff which I don't care about..)

7. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I'm using the mini 2 right now and it is a great device. I wanted to upgrade but Apple didn't give me a reason to.
    i may have misquoted which device my son in law had stolen, but it was the latest and greatest. It seems that android users are always looking to the future. I like the here and now and iOS serves that well for me.
    I have a close friend that made the switch a year ago. I was his personal how to guy for his new iPhone. He had problems figuring it out at first but now couldn't be happier.

8. OregonRob thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds pretty great!

So memory wise, is it better to go 32gb?

9. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

32 at the minimum. My 6 is a 64 and I'll never buy anything less in the future. My iPad rMini is a 32gb device and I've got 9gb free. I'm not a movie guy but do have a couple of hundred songs and albums so 32 is sufficient.
    I'm very mobile lol so I've got the data version. Personally I'd never buy wifi only, but that's me. I don't have wifi available at work and I use gps all the time as well. The wifi model doesn't have the built in gps chip but the data version does.
    If you do make the plunge, I don't mind if you message me if you have questions. I'll let you know it it get to be too much haha
    Good luck

10. OregonRob thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll remember that! Thanks again! :)

Oh, and yeah, just looked, Verizon has 16, 64, and 128gb versions, so yeah, 64... :)

11. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

iPhones no longer offer 32 but the iPad mini2 does, which I was talking about at the time. Sorry for the confusion.

12. Jstuts5797 macrumors 6502a

I have tons of friends who SWEARS by android but when we switch phones to play with them just to see, I tend to comment how laggy, slow, and confusing everything is,. Their comments are usually on how non laggy ios is and how simple it is. I've even gotten the "fisher price like" statement a few times. You are going to be very very VERY surprised just how easy email setup is...it's like REALLY easy. Iphone does most of the work for you in the background. Ringtones I'm not sure on. I know most people claim the ONLY way to do ringtones is to manually sync with iTunes however this is not entirely true. You can import an audio track into garage band right on your iOS device, clip it to the ringtone you want, then export it right into ringtones. Never having to sync at all, never costing a penny more. All your music should be completely safe as well. I really think you are going to be amazed at how simple and intuitive it is to do things on iOS. I warn you though - customization is NOT iOS's strong point. Yes you can do a lot more now, and even get an android like experience if you jailbreak but there are still limitations. Instead of trying so hard to make ios be android just use ios as ios. Also don't try to do anything to hard. Just let go and let the OS work for you. Don't get frustrated. Take a deep breath and just let it do its thing. Ohhh and apparently you may miss your "back" button but there is absolutely no need for it in iOS. You pretty much interact with apps and go back in a very intuitive way that makes sense if you don't over think it. And that basically sums it up when you switch..,l don't over think anything your trying to do. Use the K.I.S.S. Method.

As far as now or wait, I'd go ahead and get it now. No one within the apple ecosystem is thinking the next model will be anything earth shattering different. They will tweak performance and a few things here or there but it will be pretty much the same phone. The "s cycle" iphones tend to not be nearly as huge of a leap as the regular numbered cycle.

As for storage... There is no 32 GB anymore. It's 16, 64, or 128. It really depends on how many pictures you take, ect, I always recommend first time iphone buyers go with the middle... 64 now.... That way if you end up taking tons more pictures than you did on your old phone because the iphones camera is just simply amazing (and it really is) then you have plenty of space to not sour your experience. Your also not potentially going overkill spending extra money on the 128 to only discover you've only used 40 GB ever tops and then you become sour that you spent extra money that you didn't need to. Unless you just know you are a heavy memory user, stick with 64. 16 can be way to limiting to a lot of people. I hope this helps, and welcome to the amazing world of the iPhone! I know your gonna love your new phone! Once you get it, always feel welcome to hop on these forums for help with anything you need! I've found most people here are EXTREMELY friendly and helpful and more than willing to help and newbie out!

13. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

I have been a Windows user/Apple hater since the 80s. I had three different versions of Android (Galaxy, Nexus 4, ZTE) and I finally got sick of Android and decided to try an iPhone 6. I swear at least once or twice a day I look at my phone and say "I love you". There is no explaining it. Just get one and if you don't like it reselling it is a not a problem. Used iPhones don't lose much value. Lag? What is that?

14. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

This is a great post. I sure wish I can get my son-in-law to read and believe this LOL. I'm afraid he's going to be a hater to the end though.

15. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

As I look back and analyse my attitudes I realize I really didn't hate Apple products, it was the Apple fanboys I hated. I got so sick of "windoze sucks", "Bill Gates is the devil", "Apple doesn't get viruses (yeah right)" and all the other mud that used to be thrown at me. Fortunately that fanboy crap seems to be disappearing as Apple goes more mainstream. Give your SIL your phone and let him use it for a day. That will change his mind.

16. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

He is a lost cause. He is married to my daughter which is owned nothing but iPhones her entire life. Even using her phone to download things like sheet music from OnSong that his phone can't accomplish.
    Yeah he actually knows. It just won't admit it. Lol
    But thank you for the suggestion. I've tried everything and don't sling mud at him lol

17. Jstuts5797 macrumors 6502a

I know android users as well who's first smartphone was an android and now they feel kinda stuck using android. One friend told me one of his biggest reasons for continuing to buy android phones was because there are always more chargers available to him to borrow when he is out... As all android phones use the same charger. It does make some sense to me, but still that seems like a small reason and I've never seem a lack of iPhone chargers anytime I've been out and needed one.

18. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

iPhone Questions

Geez show me a iOS device / android device that won't show any lag. I'm on the 6 plus now and it lags. Both operating systems have their pro n cons it's no such thing as to which is better but it is a such thing as to which you prefer.

19. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

I am so amazed at fanboys who are so blinded by their purchase that they think the whole world revolves around their favorite brand. I personally own a Windows laptop, a Chromebook, an Android phone, an iPhone, a Kindle, a Sony mp3 player, a Fuji camera and a Garmin GPS. I love them all but none of them inspire any brand loyalty. I always go for the best tool for the job. Best thing is just to let your SIL suffer.

20. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I own varried items as well. I use windows computers, have a win 8.1 tablet that I try to use, being wifi only, it's just a desktop really. No, I was talking about the dried in the wool apple haters, like him with a very closed mind.
    I've bouht android portable devices to try to use, but been disappointed. iOS has not dissapointed me yet.
    I think their are few fanboys on the site, but for the most part, that word is a troll word when used here. Most folks look at all, it's just many, like me, have settled on some segment of the apple offerings and are satisfied.

21. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I have all the ringtones I had on my S4. Some I copied over from my iMac. Put yours on your computer before getting rid of S4. There are apps in iTunes to remake the ringtones from your songs if you have issues copying. There are apps like TunesGo Retro and iExplorer that aid in copying things to the iPhone.

You will lose all those negatives you mentioned from your S4. Had them too even being rooted and flashing custom roms/kernels.

I love the 6+. Thought it might be too big at first. But, no more. I just like the larger screen for browsing. Nice on playing videos too.

The speakers on the 6+ are far superior to the S4. My S4 was horrible on speakerphone. 6+ is very clear.

Go too Apple Store and play with them. They will seem more awkward attached to the security cable. But, won't when you have it in your hand with no cable.

:apple::apple: