iPhone questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KLJennings, Apr 29, 2008.

1. KLJennings macrumors member

1. When does AT&T lose their grip on the iPhone? I don't want to leave Verizon. When could Verizon get the iPhone?

2. Is there still chance of the new iPhone having a camera in the front for iChat AV? I haven't heard about this rumor for a while.

Thanks!

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

1) Verizon will never have the iPhone. The iPhone has GSM technology and Verizon has CDMA, which is why you don't have a SIM card.

The contract with AT&T is exclusive for 4 more years and 2 months about. (5 year contract since the launch of the current iPhone)

2) It's possible. Kevin Rose is the one who mentioned that, but who knows. I would like that as it would be very cool, and very useful if you have 3G.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

1. 5 years (so 4 more?)

2. I think there is a "chance" but it seems unapple like to have TWO camera on a phone.

4. nineteentwelve macrumors regular

AT&T have the iPhone exclusively for another 4 years or so. As for the camera on the front, it would be logical but nobody knows for sure until it's been announced. It'll come one day though.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Verizon is going SIM in 2012 or so, when they roll out their 4G service.

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It seems to me that in 4 years when Apple's contract with AT&T runs out and both AT&T and Verizon are moving towards an LTE network build-out it'll be more likely that Apple might approach Verizon again for a deal. However, until then it's all AT&T.

7. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Just wondering if you used the search button on your console to have these questions answered, because they have been beat to death. But just in case your not sure how to use the search function, here are your answers :rolleyes:

1) The original contract between AT&T and Apple is 5 Years (There are 4 years 2 months remaining)...your gonna have one heck of a lonnnnnnggggg wait :eek:

2) No One on any forum can answer this question with any certainty because Apple does not, will not and never have released any details to other sources about changes on any product. Everyone will know straight from the horses mouth when and if it happens. The only thing that has been announced is that a new generation of iPhone is coming and it will be 3G...that is it, the rest is rumor and conjecture.

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

But it is more than likely that Apple is always going to stick with AT&T if something huge happens. Then if you want to use verizon, you'll have to unlock your iPhone. That's in 4 years though. 4G will probably be pretty much everywhere in the United States.

9. KLJennings thread starter macrumors member

ARCHER - sorry to take up everyone's time. I didn't have time to search for both answers. Just let this thread drop.

I now know that if I want an iPhone in the next 4 years, I have to get one from AT&T; whom I hate. It doesn't make sense to me not to have analog coverage. Oh well.

I will wait until June to see if the new iPhone has iChat AV capabilities.

Thanks, everyone. I knew I could get fast answers from you guys.

10. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

im sure at&t will renew 5yr contract with Apple anyway... only there will be an unlocked version available. two cameras would be tacky for apple.

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Only AT&T and Verizon have anything mentioned about 4G. Sprint I think is throwing cash at WiMAX and T-mobile is still worrying about getting their 3G up and running.

12. friekunater macrumors 6502

1.) idk, idc

2.) I actually think Apple should and will bring this to the iPhone. But, unlike Nokia and the N95, Apple is all about balance. so, they would have to make it flush with the proximity sensor, maybe even in it. Or maybe somehow, they would put it under the regular screen so you couldn't see it.

13. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Um...it's highly unlikely that any major carriers will continue to support legacy analog for any length of time. The depth of penetration of digital signal is excellent, and the cost to maintain an analog network is pretty hefty.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why cant people get it that Verizon will not get the iphone. They dont understand the tech or refuse to.
    Also Verizon would mess it up with all their lockdown vcast and vthis vthat crap. They would never allow the freedom that AT&T gave to Apple.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Because anyone who says that isn't thinking like a phone company. Radios are NOT the defining answer for everything. Those can be changed, as has been done with many other phones.

If someone asks, "Can I use the current iPhone on Verizon?", then the correct answer is clearly no, because of the radio differences.

If someone asks, "Can I use the current iPhone on 3G?", the correct answer is also no, but of course you'd add that soon there'll be a 3G radio model that will work. Get the picture?

So if someone asks, "Will I ever be able to get an iPhone on Verizon?", the correct answer is, it depends on future business deals. The current radio type is not a factor.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Can I use the current iPhone on Verizon? Hell no.
    Maybe after 2012, just keep waiting it might happen.
    NOT
    Verizon would never have a device like that on their network. And if they do they'll limit it and lock it down with all their Vcast junk.