iPhone quick charging?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cam Johnson, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Cam Johnson macrumors regular

Cam Johnson

As I'm sure a lot of others on here do, I watch a lot of reviews on tech (not just Apple). I did the Samsung Test Drive with the Note 5 and while using it I thought of something. I keep coming back to this thought too. Samsung supports quick charge by using their special adapter that speeds up the charging process. Some knock the iPhone for not having this capability, but it kinda does. I use an iPad charger for my iPhone (100% supported) and my charge time is way faster than a regular adapter... So is this not fast/quick charge?

I'm trying to find stats for how long it takes to charge different iPhones with these different adapters. So if anyone can help me out by already having that info or if you know where to find it that would be great!

2. thatanonymoususer macrumors regular

thatanonymoususer

I don't know about available statistics, but I can say that in my personal experience, Anker iQ chargers (and other chargers that use this type of technology) do charge quite a bit faster than anything else in my experience. You might want to include them in your considerations.

3. I7guy macrumors G5

Using the iPad charger on the 6s the time to 80% is very quick relative to the smaller charger. From 80% to 100% is basically a trickle charge.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The iPad charger does charge faster but it's not as fast as samsung's offering. I think Samsung will charge a phone that is dead and get you four hours of use in just s ten minute charge. Now, that four hours is very subjective based in the tasks you perform, but a ten minute charge on an iPad charger nests you under 5% battery. I don't think I can play four hours of music with 5% iPhone battery.

A faster charge, Particularly when severely depleted, would be lovely in the iPhone. I carry s battery backup and find myself using it more often than I feel I should have to. If I can charge in ten minute bursts I'm confident I wouldn't even need s backup battery expect on rather rare occasions .

5. Cam Johnson thread starter macrumors regular

Cam Johnson

Thanks for the replies everyone! I wasn't sure how it stacked up, or if it was simply something that was overlooked. I did like that feature on the Note 5, but honestly I usually just charge my phone at night so I've never paid a ton of attention to which was faster. But it's good to know.

6. I7guy macrumors G5

If your not near an outlet or your car, like those days I take transit into the city, quick charge doesn't help which is why I have a small battery.

7. HEK, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

On my 6s Plus it takes 1 hour and 55 min to go from zero to 99%. This is using the 12 watt iPad charger. I have measured, if phone is between 0% and 70% I get consistent one percent per minute charge rate. 15 minutes gets me 15% increase.

After 70% the iPhone starts reducing the wattage draw to yield about one percent increase in minute and a half. This charge rate further reduces winding up at trickle charge at 99% where it stays going on and off cycling between 100% and 99%.

I bought several iPad chargers besides the ones I have for my iPads. It's all I use for both the iPhone and iPad. If I find myself in situation where I am near my chargers I just attach for a bit and get that wonderful one % per minute fill up.

Like the Geico commercial says, "15 minutes gets you 15%". ;)

8. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

The thing that you plug into the wall/cig lighter is not a charger. It is a power supply for the charging circuitry in the phone.

9. HEK, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

We stand corrected, Apple labels it a "Power Adapter". And yes the charging circuitry is in the phone itself.

"Charger" being used akin to generalized but clearly incorrect phrases like "Kleenex" for any tissue paper used to blow one's nose. "Xerox" less often now used when meaning copies. "Sunset" and "sunrise", when clearly the sun does no such thing. But rather the earth's rotation makes it appear that way.

Edit added:
    Come to think about it, strictly speaking your term power supply is also inaccurate. The "power adapter" let's say iPad version, actually a transformer, supplies no power. It converts (adapts) power supplied to it either 120v 60Hz AC or 220v 50Hz AC converting (transforming it) to 5v DC. So strictly speaking only a battery pack or fuel cell could be termed a power supply. Seems Apple is only one that named it correctly, "power adapter".

10. DADDYDC650 macrumors 6502

DADDYDC650

I use thw turbo charger that came with my S6 Edge. Charges a lot faster than the stock one.