iPhone radiaton makes my Macbook fall asleep.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by segers909, Nov 3, 2009.

1. segers909 macrumors regular

So i've got this very strange problem. This has happend to me about 3 times now. Here is the situation:
    So i'm in the coach with my uMBP on my lappy and iPhone 3Gs in my pocket. I receive an sms, type a response, press "send" and put the iPhone down right next to my macbook. Suddenly my screen goes black, and the breathing light turns on.:confused: I press my spacebar and the macbook goes to the login screen.

So is it possible that the radiation of my iPhone makes my macbook go asleep? I know there are magnets to keep the screen closed, but is the sensor that detects if the lit is closed also magnetic?

2. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

It's definitely possible. If my iPhone was too close to my work laptop and received a message/call it would cause my computer to crash disastrously.

3. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

One problem...nothing on the iPhone is magnetic. Do you have a case on your iPhone?

4. segers909 thread starter macrumors regular

Only a simple silicone one.
    Aren't all radio waves magnetic?

5. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

My old phone made my iPod classic's scroll wheel go mental whenever a text or call came in. That was especially bad on the 'Now Playing' screen, since the scroll wheel controls volume in that case! :eek: I had to keep it locked whenever my phone was near it.

Phones do tend to interfere with other devices, but it's rather odd that it makes your MacBook sleep...

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Do you know whether you're on a GSM or WCDMA network?

7. babak macrumors member

I wouldn't keep it in my pocket after this, especially not pants pocket :eek:

8. emt1 macrumors 65816

Do pieces of metal fly at your iPhone when you're making a phone call?

9. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

:eek: Now that would be scary!

Radio waves are a type of electromagnetic radiation, which is considerably different to being plain magnetic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_Spectrum

10. segers909 thread starter macrumors regular

It's GSM here, (note my location; entire Europe is GSM).
    And indeed, i keep my iPhone in my front pocket about 12 hours a day.. Makes me kinda worried!

11. copykris macrumors 6502a

copykris

don't come back until your balls explode

12. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

13. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

Actually, mobile phones use microwaves, not radio waves as is popularly believed.

14. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

When I keep my phone near my Macbook Pro is makes me speakers click and snap. Always reminds me that I need to move my phone. haha.

15. Betelgeuse macrumors member

The EM waves that your phone emits is enough to disturb magnetic fields which is why you can't put them near a lot of computer speakers; they'll induce a current in the speakers and cause them to make that burst-of-static sound that we're all probably familiar with. So, if the MacBook is put to sleep by something that senses a magnetic field (whether it comes from a permanent magnet or a field generated by EM radiation), it's definitely possible that your iPhone could put your laptop to sleep. It seems like a cool parlor trick, if nothing else. :)