iPhone random alerts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikes63737, Sep 23, 2008.

1. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Today I was sitting at my desk with my phone right in front of me and I heard it play the new text message sound and vibrate. I unlocked it, and there was no red bubble over the SMS icon, which means that I didn't get a message. I'm sure it was a text message alert because I didn't get a new e-mail or voicemail either and they play different sounds. But it did alert me that I got a new message. Strange.

Has this happened to anyone?

2. mikes63737 thread starter macrumors 65816

Almost the opposite.

There was no new message, but it vibrated and played the new message sound.

3. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Maybe you just accidently pushed down the volume off button. When you push it down the phone vibrates.

4. russelleades macrumors newbie

i've had the exact same problem, seems to occur everyday now in that a message alert soundsand there will be no new message. Also i've only had this problem since i downloaded 2.1. I assume that these phantom alerts are a result of the new software?

5. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Are you sure you have "Fetch New Data" set to Off in the Settings? If you have it set to check every 30 minutes, and you have new mail, it is going to vibrate or sound every 30 minutes.

6. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Mine did this yesterday played the new e-mail sound, and yet their was nothing.

Very strange.

7. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

same thing happened to me on monday at Alton Towers...

was sat on the monorail and heard the sound, as did my friends, but no message.

weeeird

8. manhattanmania macrumors regular

happens to me too, 3 times so far. next text sound but no new text.

9. russelleades macrumors newbie

Finally figured it out.

The new 2.1 software includes a repeat message alert system. i.e. if you don't read the incoming message it will repeat the alert in c5minutes after receipt. Unfortunatelty you cannot switch off this function and it appears it has malfunctioned at the repeat alert happens even if you do read the message.

Hopefully apple will fix this is the next firmware update.

10. DBSABZB macrumors newbie

I've been having the same problem as everyone else. Additionally, I have read all of my texts, so I don't think it's repeating the alert because I haven't read them.