iPhone Randomly Shut Off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmo1116, Mar 27, 2011.

1. jmo1116 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

My iPhone 4 just shut off randomly. I was on it one minute, then I looked down and it was off. I pressed the home button like 5 times but the screen stayed off. Tried the power button, nothing happened. So I did the hard reset holding power and home and it turned back on. Has this ever happened to anyone else? This is the first time it's done this.

2. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

This happens to me quite regularly on my old iPhone 3G. If it happens again, or becomes a regular thing, you should probably take it into the Apple store as it becomes an extreme nuisance. Mine is out of warranty, so...I'm screwed =/ Oh well.

3. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

It is not uncommon to have to do a hard reset....Do a search, there are plenty of threads, almost word for word.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

If the 3G is requiring frequent hard resets, it most likely is a completely separate issue.

5. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Why should it? Same software. I've heard of iP4s having the same problem as my 3G.

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

That is exactly why it could be a separate problem. The 3G has a completely different processor, and less memory than the IP4, and the 4.xx firmware just makes the problem worse. The best load for the 3G is 3.1.3.

And no, it's not the same software. The iP4 can run 4.3, the 3G is limited to 4.2.

7. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Thank you for completely blowing this out of proportion, the main point of my post was that "I have heard of iP4s having the exact same problem", therefore it's probably not due to the processor or iOS 4.3.

It's actually running iOS 3.1.3 now, and has been most of the time I owned it. I was trying 4.2.1 out to see if there were any real benefits for a 3G user.

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

If you had said that in your original post, I would not have made the comment that I did. Please excuse me for not being able to read your mind.

9. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

If you would've bothered to read the third sentence, you would've seen "I've heard of iP4s having the same problem as my 3G."

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You couldn't read his mind?? They let any joker post on MC rumors these days...

11. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Here is a quote from your original post that I responded to. And nowhere in that post can I find "I've heard of iP4s having the same problem as my 3G." Once again, please excuse me for not reading your mind...:rolleyes:

12. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Whoops, I'm sorry, I meant second post. Please excuse me for forgetting, that's a crime now?