iPhone Randomly Starting Music??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blevins321, Feb 18, 2011.

1. blevins321 macrumors 68030

OK, odd problem. Friend in my family plan who has a 3GS running 4.2.1 (happening past couple of months since even before 4.2.1) is having an odd problem that her phone starts playing the iPod at random intervals. She's good about locking her phone, but the problem still happens.

No alarms are set or marked on. It goes off in the middle of the night while plugged in on the night stand. Has gone off in class a few times. It's not playing alarm tones; it actually is starting to play songs. She's restored the phone a couple times, including once without restoring the backup. Seems to do it regardless of if the silencing switch is set or not.

She took it to our town's AT&T store, and they referred her to call Apple. Apple wouldn't talk to her and insisted on her paying the phone service fee. The phone is still within the 1-year warranty until May but the 90-day phone service is expired. Planning on a 50-mile each way trip to the Apple Store to get it looked at, but does anyone have other alternatives??

2. DoctorK4 macrumors regular

My wife had something similar happen the other day with her new VZ iPhone 4. It was also randomly "butt dialing" various numbers, even when locked and left unattended in the side pocket of her purse.

Turns out her bluetooth headset was causing the problem. The button on it was getting squeezed in the bottom of her purse, and it was picking up ambient noise and funneling that as a command to Voice Control with not-so-hilarious outcomes. Just a thought...

3. blevins321 thread starter macrumors 68030

Haha hmm. Good thought, but she doesn't use a bluetooth headset and hasn't ever paired the phone with one. If it were just doing this in her purse I'd think that maybe the voice control was being triggered on the phone itself, but the night stand issue was well as it 'just' starting the iPod app makes me think something funkier is going on.

4. blevins321 thread starter macrumors 68030