Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdbilly

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Fog City
My phone plans just about up and I can finally get an iPhone. My concern is the sound/volume quality and if it will be loud enough because I have hearing problems and always had issues with cells because of their bad sound levels. I have the Katana by Sanyo now and I picked it solely for it's receiver volume, I actually have to turn it down at times. So, the only thing I'm worried about with the iPhone is the sound level and if I'll be able to hear it. I've only played with a few and not long enough to form a decent opinion. Does anyone have good advice or input? Thanks in advance..

atluten

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2008
I'll chime in and say that in a normal environment with ambient noise, the phone is a little hard to hear. It is a little softer than my previous phone and I have missed calls on occasion simply because I couldn't hear it. Now I am not saying that this happens all the time, but it happens just enough that I do wish it could be a louder. Two ways around the noise issue are using just the vibration mode or just choosing a really high-pitched ringtone that you'll be able to make out. I hope this was helpful. Cheers.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
I'll agree that the receiver volume/quality is a bit lacking. In a quiet room it's not so bad but being outside it's a bit more difficult to hear. Driving with a window open--forget about it. Speaker phone also is almost worthless in my opinion unless it's directed within a couple inches of your ear.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
In terms of using the iPhone to your ear, yes, it might be a bit soft.

But if you use the earbud headset that comes with the iPhone...you might have to turn down the volume.

kdbilly

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Fog City
Thanks for the input. My main concern is the receiver volume and it's ability to be turned up. Answering/hearing/receiving incoming calls isn't a problem for me, it's hearing through the receiver on most phones that kills me. So i was hoping someone knew about it and if it could even be adapted afterwords. Thanks..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.