iPhone Reception Compared To Others

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drs68, Jul 25, 2008.

1. drs68 macrumors member

drs68

I have had many phones over the years and have used many other phones that were owned by others. Although I don't have much information on smartphone reception, I would like some help with placing Apple's iPhone on this chart I have compiled:

Best Possible Reception
    Nokia
    Motorola
    Sony Ericsson
    Samsung/LG
    Kyocera/Audiovox
    Worst Possible Reception

Those of you who have iPhones, please rate its reception overall compared to others, how quickly it picks up reception (such as after leaving a no service area), how clear calls are when reception is low, and how long it will hold on to that last little bar.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

iPhone Reception

It really comes down to where you are. Like I am assuming you are, I was fearful that I wouldn't get the same reception as I did on my Verizon phone here in the Hudson Valley in NY. I am happy to report that so far my reception has been excellent and I have no issues. I will say that I have only had the iPhone for a couple of days so I haven't been everywhere. Hope this helps you out.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I think you're going to get a LOT of differing opinions on this one. For example, I'd rank it this way:

Best Possible Reception
    Motorola
    Samsung
    iPhone/Palm
    HTC
    Nokia
    Sony Ericsson
    LG
    Pantech
    Kyocera
    Audiovox
    Worst Possible Reception

And yes, this will depend on where someone is and how good the network is. There are tons of variables with how the network is laid out and configured, and how each phone design will react to those conditions. Some phones do great in some markets, and lousy in others. This is true of all phones.

Where I live, I haven't lost signal yet and coverage has been good. No dropped calls either. This weekend and next weekend I'll be traveling to other states, so this might give me a different picture and I migt change my rating of my iPhone.

4. bigmouth macrumors 6502

It's only been a day, but my 3G signal strength is as good or better than my ATT Tilt (also a 3G phone).

5. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

hm, it seems like this sort of thing depends almost completely on the network, and that the hardware is almost irrelevant....
    i mean, especially in this day and age, shouldn't any of the major cell brands get solid reception?
    or is there a flaw in this logic?

6. rust.puppet macrumors regular

id like to know how the reception ranks against the razr 3g reception.

the other day i drove down the highway and my razr had only lost 3g for 10 minutes out of a 3 hour drive. but then again i only studied it because im planning on using my iphone anywhere and i have no 3g in my home city but i heard it was expanding fast and it seems to be.

7. davidlw macrumors 6502a

Motorola Q9 3G the best reception that I have ever had.

8. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Exactly. I have lived in 4 different parts of the country and could make completely different lists for all 4 areas

Just can't make any general list, imo

9. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Best general comparison I have is that an iPhone 3G gets about the same number of bars as the Moto RAZR. The original iPhone gets less, due to the metal back on the phone.

10. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

All I can say is that with iphone 1 I had about 3 to 4 bars at home and with the new one I have full bars. Now, the ATT website says I'm covered with 3G and when calling them they said I have no less than 6 towers within a mile but at home I get barely one bar. Walk outside 200 feet and I get 4 to full bars. I suspect a software update might help correct this. I hope. I also get very random jumps from 4 bars to zero within 2 seconds.