Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wunderboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Okay...I have no idea if this is complete coincidence but I have to state what I am seeing.

San Francisco has had POOR (and that is putting it mildly) AT&T Voice reception. Notice is say voice reception. I can use the data services all the time but even on full bars on 3G I am damned if I can sometimes make a call. This is because, so I have been told, is that voice takes channels and if all the channels are being used you are screwed. Also, it didn't help that AT&T's "upgrade" to the system didn't work and they had to install the old equipment back in.

Regardless, 99% of the time entering the city, not during rush hour mind you, I would get dropped right after going through the Treasure Island tunnel and then once again on the off ramp to Fremont Street and Folsom.

However, since the launch of iPhone on Verizon I have made it from Treasure Island to the inner part of the city three times now without a disconnect. Of course, I am very happy with that and almost don't care why. But I thought I would post my findings.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Wait, you mean to say that AT&T does not have the best voice reception in San Francisco, that is brand new information. :rolleyes:

Whats next, is someone going to say that New York is just as bad, I won't believe.

wunderboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Never disputed those facts or tried to state any new ones.

Just was very happy that I didn't get disconnected in those spots that always seem to be bad.

Wondering if it was just dumb luck or actual improvement given, I would assume, the droves of people in SF jumping the AT&T ship!

I am probably going too, but wait to see what comes out in June and how the network survives.

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
Wait, you mean to say that AT&T does not have the best voice reception in San Francisco, that is brand new information. :rolleyes:

Whats next, is someone going to say that New York is just as bad, I won't believe.

Did you actually READ the OPs post ?....:confused:

The OP stated it has IMPROVED.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia

According to a map AT&T is improving and expanding 3G coverage projected to be complete by march 31st. You read about areas that never had coverage and/or improved coverage alot in the last month or so.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca

I apologies, I mis-read.

I read the line "since the launch of iPhone on Verizon" and yes, my mind automatically assumed he was talking about the Verizon iPhone having better reception (I just woke up not long ago).

Though I was not in the same part of town as the OP, I was in SF yesterday and I didn't notice the reception being any better than previously, but if it is improving, then that is not a bad thing.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I Can't wait to visit my family in Frisco again and try my iPhone there. I go back to visit like every two years but in 2008 I didn't have an iPhone, now I do.

Back the last time I visited my hometown I had an HTC Tilt 2 running on at&t 3G and I don't remember having drop calls, but I do remember that inside the BART I wouldn't get any receptions at times. I did noticed that underground stations such as 16st, 24st, Powell and so all (mostly all in San Francisco are underground specially as you approach Embarcadero) the signal would drop. But across the bay, getting to Alameda, BART would come off the tunnel and reception was back to b/t 4 to 5 bars.

FYI: BART= Bay Area Rapid Transit=metro :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wunderboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
You have signal now through the bay tube, underground in oakland, through the tunnel between Orinda and Berkeley. So gear has been added. Though any underground travels are too loud for a phone call, but not Email.

My experience could have been a fluke but I hope not. I was wondering if the addition of Verizon would improve the SF experience. Let's hope so and then I might not have to change the 4 phones over.

Rodvette

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
I live in the bay area and I am happy with my iphone. Also I have had couple of people like the fact that my iphone doesnt have a sim card slot. They said it makes the phone look "hella clean" lol

wunderboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
I guess we can no longer call it the iPhone when posting. We have to clarify wither it is Red or Blue now. No sim card means you are on Verizon. Glad to hear reception has been good.

beret9987

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Just wondering, does anyone know how ATT reception is in Orinda? I'm actually from there(go to Davis for school right now) and I was just wondering how well it preformed. Currently on Sprint, can't complain but data speeds on UCD campus are pitiful to say the least.

nasty eggrolls

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
I got 2352 kbits/s download and 491 kbits/s upload with 3 bars in my house near Twin Peaks on my AT&T iPhone4 this week.

Reception has improved over the years. The only time I have had MAJOR problems is around 5PM in the Financial District. I literally could not send a text or make a phone call til 7PM. Not sure if this is the norm or was just a weird day, as I'm not usually in that area at rush hour.

nasty eggrolls

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
You have signal now through the bay tube, underground in oakland, through the tunnel between Orinda and Berkeley. So gear has been added. Though any underground travels are too loud for a phone call, but not Email.

My experience could have been a fluke but I hope not. I was wondering if the addition of Verizon would improve the SF experience. Let's hope so and then I might not have to change the 4 phones over.

In the bay tube I often have reception now but sometimes it won't load anything.

Service has also been added in downtown Oakland underground.

zenio

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
When people that are NOT phone enthusiasts ask me about phones, I always tell them to choose the carrier First!

If you don't have good coverage what good is the phone?

That's why AT&T got such a bad rap, is people who had no business using AT&T due to the fact another carrier offered better service in their area.

Then people wonder why there was a problem.... duh :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.