Iphone Reception Question (a different take)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Molson1020, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Molson1020 macrumors regular

So I have had my iPhone 4 since launch, and it seems to be getting worse each day. This is a reception/antenna issue, but I think it's unrelated to the "death grip" everyone is talking about.

First off, I had an iPhone 3G and it worked fine everywhere, including inside my house. When I switched to the iPhone 4, I could still make calls inside my house. Then all of a sudden it started cutting in and out in my house. I did the update yesterday (4.0.1) and now I still show 3 to 4 bars in my house, but it won't make calls at all.

I had to walk down the block to call Apple, and he suggested the usual (remove sim card, restore) but sure enough, it dropped that call too (and I wasn't even holding the phone, it was in my pocket and I was using the headphones).

Do you think I may just have a faulty antenna altogether? (Oh, and I live in downtown Chicago... so my coverage is great).

2. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

Your problem seems very familiar. Although I live in a rural area without AT&T 3G coverage, my previous iPhones: 2G, 3G & 3GS along with my current 3G iPad have excellent cel coverage in my home; usually 5 bars. My iPhone 4 has never had more than 2 bars & quite often "No Service" or "Searching" were displayed, even before 4.0.1. Since it's over a hour drive to the nearest Apple Store I dealt with the issue online & then by phone. After 3 calls, all very cordial yet unable to resolve the problem the Apple representative set up a Genius Bar appointment for me @ 9:30 AM today July 17. Last night I took photos of my iPad 3G with 5 bars alongside my daughter's 3GS with 5 bars with my iPhone 4 and screen shots using my iPhone 4 with "No Service". When I got to the Apple Store they had the notes sent from the previous calls to Apple and my iPhone 4 camera & screen shots and exchanged the phone without any additional questions. I've been monitoring my new iPhone 4 since returning home about 4 hours ago as I work on a project at my desk and the new iPhone 4 is displaying 4 or 5 bars just like the iPad. So far so good. Good luck.