iPhone red light next to speaker at the top

flimzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
Hi. When i put the phone to go charge at night I noticed a red light next to my top speaker. Confused at what this was I stared and stared until i tried to reset it. Then i looked at it again and still didnt understand why it was there. Upon researching I found out that it is probably the proximity sensor and that it was an IR sensor. Is there a reason why I see this? Is it normal? I may have gotten some sand in my phone on a vacation about a week ago but Im not sure if that matters? Finally, is the light dangerous? I stared into it for a good 5 minutes while examining so Im not sure?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
well i wasn't. i thought its a risk because i continued to look at it. isn't it infrared light?
Sorry.

The light is on the edge between visible and non visible. It has come up many times as not all can see the light. You are correct that it is the proximity sensor that turn your screen off when against your ear. It is harmless.

Most important is is will not hurt your eyes no matter how long you stare at it. You are safe and there was no damage. Just relax and enjoy the weekend.