Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sportfisher33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
Hi everyone,

I have my Remote app set up on my iPhone to work with my Apple TV. This was easy because my Apple TV is linked with my Apple ID Account (which is obviously identified with both my phone and my computer). When I went to set my wife's Remote app up on her iPhone, I get a message that says "Turn on Home Sharing in iTunes on your computer or on Apple TV using the account [Name of Wife's Account]."

On the Apple TV, Home Sharing is on and I still get this message.

The apple webpage for homesharing states "Once set up, all the libraries from these computers will show up in the Shared area of iTunes:"

The webpage says "...you will need to turn on Home Sharing on each computer using the same Apple ID. Once set up, all the libraries from these computers will show up in the Shared area of iTunes:"

My wife does not have an Apple computer. Only an iPad. She does not use iTunes at all.

I king-of understand why Apple wants this device (her iPhone) to be linked up with the Home Sharing network (in my house). But how does this work if she does not use iTunes? I am trying to figure out the message I first stated at the top... "Turn on Home Sharing in iTunes on your computer or on Apple TV using the account [Name of Wife's Account]."

Again, Apple TV has Home sharing turned on.

I just want to link her phone up. How do I do this and why do I have to? Shouldn't there just be a way to use her phone as a remote without making it a part of my Home Sharing network?

Thanks guys.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I don't see why your wife's iPhone CAN'T access your Home Sharing. Did you go to your wife's iPhone/Settings/Remote and see if you can set Home Sharing there accordingly?

Sportfisher33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
There is not an iPhone/settings/remote option. If I look at the settings while inside the Remote app, it says that Home Sharing is on.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
There is not an iPhone/settings/remote option. If I look at the settings while inside the Remote app, it says that Home Sharing is on.

Sign out of Home Sharing in Remote app on the iOS device, and then sign back in with the appropriate Apple ID. In case it is not clear, this means turn Home Sharing off and back on again.

A.

Last edited:

Sportfisher33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
Sorry for the confusion. I meant, after I toggle the home sharing switch off and then on again (from inside the app), then where do I go to sign out and sign back in to home sharing (using the correct apple ID)?

Thanks

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Sorry for the confusion. I meant, after I toggle the home sharing switch off and then on again (from inside the app), then where do I go to sign out and sign back in to home sharing (using the correct apple ID)?

There is no other place you have to go. Turn off Home Sharing in Remote on the iOS device. Turn it back on. You will be prompted for the Home Sharing Apple ID and password.

A.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.