iPhone "Remote" App-What Am I Doing Wrong??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Azzin, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Azzin macrumors 68040

I just can't fathom it and it all appears to be so simple. :blush:

1. Install "Remote" app-Done.
    2. Start Remote App on iPhone-Done.
    3. Select "Add Library"-Done.
    4. Make a note of 4 digit PIN that then appears on iPhone screen-Done.
    5. Notice that iPhone icon in iTunes now has a Remote icon next to it-Nope.

And that's as far as I can get..... :confused:

Doesn't seem to matter whether I try it from my iPhone or my iPad, I just can't get either to appear in the iTunes window with the remote icon like is supposed to happen. :suicide:

[​IMG]

The phone was physically connected in that screenshot above as I had just tried removing and reinstalling it, but it makes no difference.

The iPhone is connected to the same LAN that the PC and iTunes are on and the same goes for the iPad.

I presume that once you've started the app on the iPhone/Pad, it should just appear with the Remote icon next to it in iTunes (under the "Devices" tab that I don't have) without being physically attached?

In iTunes preferences, under "Devices" the checkbox for "Look for iPod, iPhone & iPad Remotes" is already ticked:

[​IMG]

Help!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your iPhone and iTunes computer need to be on the same WiFi network. Your iPhone should not be connected with the USB cable, iTunes will find and connect to it automatically. Keep the Remote app open until your iPhone appears in iTunes then enter the 4 digit number.

3. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

They are:

PC I.P address= 192.168.1.71
    iPhone I.P. address=192.168.1.73

As I mentioned, that was only connected in that screenshot, as I had just removed and reinstalled it. Other than that it's wifi all the way!

Ok, how long should it take to appear the first time?

Thanks. :)

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not to long. I'd say five minuets max. Your iPhone will appear in the left column of iTunes under the Devices area. Your iPhone needs to stay at the four numbers screen before iTunes can see it.

One more thing, did you try turning off your firewall? Those can sometimes cause it to not work.

5. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Ok thanks, I'll keep the iphone open at the 4 digit code now to see if it appears.

Yes, the Windows firewall is definately off.

6. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Still nothing.

Just one question-Should I have a "Devices" tab that is visible all the time anyway (because I don't), or does it just appear when a "Device" attaches itself (as with this darned Remote app)?

7. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

idk but i don't think it was to smart to give out ur ip address like that

8. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

They're internal I.P addresses (allocated by the router), not external ones.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Devices tab is visible only when your have an iPod, iPhone, music cd, Apple TV, or the Apple Remote App in Add Library mode. You might want to try click the Forget All Remotes button in iTunes then closing and reopening iTunes.

10. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

When I click in "Forget all remotes" I get this:

[​IMG]

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you open the TaskManger with Alt-Ctrl-Del and click the show Show Processes From All Users button and then sort the processes by name, do you see one called mDNSResponder?

12. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

I sure do:

[​IMG]

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Well at least we now know that Bonjour is running. Have you tried restarting the iPhone?

14. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

No, but I've had the iPad on for the last 7 or 8 minutes open at the 4 digit code screen and nothing's happened.

I'll restart them both now.

Thanks again.

15. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

1.01am (UK time): iPad restarted and Remote app selected.

Passcode currently up and iTunes open....

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That odd. Here's the Apple support article, it might help. You might also want to try restarting your wireless router. I know I used to have to mess with mine a lot to get things like this working.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1741

17. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks, I found that article earlier, but it didn't help!

It's now 1.15am in the UK (8.15pm in NY?), but nothing has appeared in iTunes under "Devices". :(

Time for bed methinks....

Thanks though.

18. mkgm1 macrumors regular

I have a Linksys WAG160N router and I've never managed to get any of these types of apps that connect over the wireless network to your computer to ever work (Remote, Keynote Remote, Logitech TouchMouse etc.). I've tried different iDevices, different Macs and PCs. UPNP (e.g. to PS3/Xbox 360) doesn't work either. I concluded my router was a pile of rubbish and countless other people have confirmed this.

So check your router, make sure its got the latest firmware and if all else fails contact the manufacturer.