iPhone remote

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by gw0gvq, Jul 21, 2019.

1. gw0gvq macrumors 6502a

gw0gvq

Hi how do you control the volume on the apple remote that's with the iPhone on ATV4 because I can see up and down arrow but no left or right on the Siri handset never mind the apple tv remote that's on the iPhone andI'm not sure what the SELECT icon is neither anyone can someone help is there please?

2. waw74 macrumors 68040

if you control your volume via IR, you can't do it from the remote app

if you control you volume via HDMI, you use... and I know it makes no sense... the volume buttons on the side of your phone.

3. gw0gvq thread starter macrumors 6502a

gw0gvq

Nope, I don't know if it's me or what but I still can't control the volume on the remote and I took of IR used an XS and an 8plus but no joy. I wouldn't be surprised if it's me lol, cos I still can't fathom out what the side arrows are in the volume icon in settings Thanks for replying anyway.

4. priitv8 macrumors 68040

That is because aTV 4 does not support HDMI-CEC and hence can not control TV's volume via HDMI.
    You need aTV 4K for that.
    Your only option is to use IR control. Either that of Siri Remote or that of TV itself / AVR (if CEC supported) / Universal (Harmony et al).

5. gw0gvq thread starter macrumors 6502a

gw0gvq

Thanks, I did wonder when I turned the IR off oh well never mind.its a pity that there isn't a facility to control the volume. Do you know if 4K Apple TV works with HDMI only or do you need A dedicated 4K TV? Thanks anyway

6. priitv8 macrumors 68040

It has only one HDMI port but you don’t need a 4K TV to use it. It will adapt to display’s capabilities. That’s another feature of HDMI - EDID. It allows the signal source and sink negotiate their capabilities.

7. waw74 macrumors 68040

False, the aTV 4 does support HDMI-CEC.

IF HDMI control doesn't work, the problem is that your television isn't listening for it.
    and changing to a aTV 4k won't fix that.

You may need to enable HDMI-CEC in your television's settings
    different manufacturers call it different things (LG=simplnet, Samsung=Anynet+)
    check here for full list - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Electronics_Control
    info from apple on this - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205225

side arrows?
    which settings are you in? app on phone, settings on aTV? be very specific how you got there.

also you mention the "select icon", I'm not sure what you're talking about.

if you have the older apple remote with the circle buttons, either silver or white in color, then you might not have an aTV4 or 4k, the remote that comes with the 4 & 4k is black
    (the silver and white will still control a 4/4k but you don't have volume controls or Siri)

8. priitv8 macrumors 68040

My bad. I must have confused it with the previous aTV 3.
    CEC needs to be enabled also on tvOS:
    24A5B303-B6C5-49C9-89B7-E87D3E34767A.jpeg