Iphone removed from bank statement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by royaltannenbomb, Aug 10, 2008.

1. royaltannenbomb macrumors newbie

Jul 30, 2008
    I went to AT&T and ordered my iphone on thursday. It showed up on my online statement, but today it disappeared. I called and they said it was still pending shipment and nothing was wrong. Did this happen to anyone else?
  2. aphexii macrumors 6502

Feb 22, 2006
    When you order the phone, they pre-authorize your card for the amount (to make sure it will go through), and the pre-authorization comes off in a few days.

Only when the phone actually ships will you be charged.

Its very common practice. Check your online statement after eating at a restaurant, they usually pre-auth a higher amount than your bill to account for potential tip. It comes off in a few days, then the real charge shows up a few days later.
  3. royaltannenbomb thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 30, 2008
    it would have been nice for the ATT guy to tell me that
  4. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

Aug 7, 2008
    use a credit card next time so $300 doesn't go flying in and out unexpectedly. i'd hate for that to happen to me
  5. aphexii macrumors 6502

Feb 22, 2006
    Why? As i said, all companies do it. It's just in this case your permitting them to charge your card when the item ships. It pre-authorizes the card to make sure its a real account and that it has available funds to fulfill the charge.

Look at your AT&T store receipt, it shows it right on there - "Your card will be charged when the item ships"