Iphone removed from bank statement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by royaltannenbomb, Aug 10, 2008.

1. royaltannenbomb macrumors newbie

I went to AT&T and ordered my iphone on thursday. It showed up on my online statement, but today it disappeared. I called and they said it was still pending shipment and nothing was wrong. Did this happen to anyone else?

2. aphexii macrumors 6502

When you order the phone, they pre-authorize your card for the amount (to make sure it will go through), and the pre-authorization comes off in a few days.

Only when the phone actually ships will you be charged.

Its very common practice. Check your online statement after eating at a restaurant, they usually pre-auth a higher amount than your bill to account for potential tip. It comes off in a few days, then the real charge shows up a few days later.

3. royaltannenbomb thread starter macrumors newbie

it would have been nice for the ATT guy to tell me that

4. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

use a credit card next time so $300 doesn't go flying in and out unexpectedly. i'd hate for that to happen to me

5. aphexii macrumors 6502

Why? As i said, all companies do it. It's just in this case your permitting them to charge your card when the item ships. It pre-authorizes the card to make sure its a real account and that it has available funds to fulfill the charge.

Look at your AT&T store receipt, it shows it right on there - "Your card will be charged when the item ships"