iPhone repair business?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by taptic, Jun 9, 2014.

1. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

So, I'd been tossing around the idea of scaling up into a real business and starting an iDevice repair shop. The idea has driven me crazy so I've started figuring out some costs and things and have gotten to the point where I need to have some kind of name and at least some temporary branding. So I have two questions:

1. What would you name your business?

This has to be something that isn't cheesy (like iCrack, iPhix, etc.). I want to be professional, but not boring like Apple Cellular Repair Center or something stupid like that. It would also be good if it passed the big companies on namechk.com like Facebook and youtube.

2. If anyone else has done this before, where is the best place to buy parts, and do you have any advice in general?

2. bearwrestler macrumors regular

1) Cell Phone Repair Store.

Simple, and very self-explanatory.

Be aware that the income taxes are going to destroy you. It's not fun.

3. taptic thread starter macrumors 65816

taptic

Yes, I'm looking into those taxes... I'm sort of looking for a one word, maybe two, name... Putting an i in front of the word might be alright in certain cases...

4. bearwrestler macrumors regular

The iDoctor. PHD.

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I think you're getting ahead of yourself. The name of the business is not the most important thing at this point.

If you want to start a repair business, first find a source for parts. Without that there is no business. While you're working on that main aspect of the business, you can ponder the name.

6. bearwrestler macrumors regular

"The idea has driven me crazy so I've started figuring out some costs and things and have gotten to the point where I need to have some kind of name and at least some temporary branding"

7. jeremysteele, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014

jeremysteele macrumors 6502

And immediately after:

AKA: Name isn't crucial at this stage. Just choose something generic for now if you need to (iPhoneRepairCenter). Companies change their names all the time - even giant corporations do (Apple Computer to Apple, for instance). Just check the trademark databases first!!

Anyhoo - one important thing would be to get Apple certified. Always looks good, and lets you do warranty repairs. Unless you are going to focus on out of warranty repairs... of course. Just make sure you inform customers of that... so they don't go to do an in-warranty repair later and get denied (Apple can tell pretty easily if a device has been modified.... and all Certified places will record their repairs done so Apple will know). Let's just say that happened to a friend of mine who repaired macs on the side, and it nearly ended in a lawsuit.

Another would be to get a good accountant once you get going. I don't care if you are a certified CPA - never try handling your own finances if you are trying to start a serious business. You'll be pulled in too many directions... and it always ends badly.

Also - hope you got $$ saved up to buy supplies (once you get your supply chain figured out). Gotta keep an inventory of common parts to keep customers happy. Obviously if you need to buy a motivator you'll have to order out... but you should at least have common parts like displays, etc.

Just don't go overboard - I would suspect a large % of your repairs will be simple software fixes.

Wish I could be of more help with the supply chain question. Only thing I could suggest would be check to see if you can find where popular sites get their parts (like iFixit) or maybe even contact Apple directly (especially if you go the certified route)?

8. taptic thread starter macrumors 65816

taptic

Keyword: "best" place to buy parts.

I do have a place to get parts already, I just thought it might be wise to see what others are doing. Thanks for the help though!

9. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Be very weary whenever doing repairs that require you to take apart the iPhone. There is a degree of risk since screwing up can cost you all your profit for the week/month if a customer needs a new phone.

10. bearwrestler macrumors regular

The man asked for help with a title...let's let him handle the $$ of it.

I still say "The iDoctor" is a great name.

11. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

iAmNotCreative = all non-Apple i names lol.