iPhone Repair Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ElliotWestacott, Mar 16, 2009.

1. ElliotWestacott macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Firstly I must apologise for the long winded post, but I want to explain my situation and hear some advise, or if anyone else has been in the same position.

Ive been using the new 3G iPhone since August 08 and have absolutely loved it.

Recently however its been having some minor issues. I keep getting the "This Accessory was not made to work with the iPhone" warning popping up even when nothing is attached and it also cannot be recognised on my computer.

I took it back to Singtel (Singapore's iPhone Carrier) and they said it cannot be repaired or replaced due to water damage. Finding this a bit odd, I called Apple to check, and they said they do not repair iPhones, they just replace them.

Now, this is all good and well...... if the product was cheap to replace, which it is not. How can you not repair a $1000+ product? I find it utterly outrageous that I cannot get it repaired and that my only option is to just buy another one. I would understand if my phone didnt work at all, but all functions are working fine, except being able to connect to a computer.

Trying to find out more about this, I took it back to Singtel and asked them to show me the water damage, to which I was shown two small white tabs that turn red when wet.

Where were these tabs? Pretty much right out in the open where they are bound to get wet at some point, especially if it rains.

I feel outraged that I have spent so much money on a phone that cannot be repaired and I cant think of another $1000 product that hasnt got the ability to be repaired if anything happens.

As such, I have been looking for somewhere to make a formal complaint directly to Apple, but have found nowhere appropriate to do so.

Any help would be greatly received!

Thanks

2. svndmvn Guest

I don't understand what you'd complain to Apple about.
    Are you talking about the technical/ design choice of putting the liquid sensors in the headphone jack and dock?
    For your issues, have you tried restoring it and if your computer doesn't recognize it have you tried DFU mode? Your issues look like either software related or like the sensor story would make one think, electronics related in which case it would kinda be your fault, sorry.
    For any exchange/ repair I found useless talking to Telecoms, speaking directly to Apple is a lot more effective.
    Apple's repair policy, directly exchanging your item has a lot of sense, actually, it is all faster and the new one is usually impeccable since they supposedly replace battery/ glass and back, check all the rest in order for it to be certified. Either way, the "new" one is either refurbished (process described earlier) or new, you can't tell the difference.
    You usually won't pay 1000$ for a repair even if your phone is destroyed. Probably around 200$ if it's your fault. Nothing for an almost immediate exchange if it's Apple's fault.

3. ElliotWestacott thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree it was probably my fault, and would have no issue paying $200 to repair it. However so far ive been told I have to buy a brand new one for $1000 by Apple and by my telecom company. Thats my main issue, paying alot of money for a product that cannot be repaired, even when its still in warranty.

Ive talked with Apple about software issues and we have been unable to resolve it. Also, I do think those sensors are in a very stupid place, surely it must be very easy for them to get wet (then again im no technician so i dont know)

4. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

there is a reason there are water sensors on the dock and headphones... where else do you think water can get in from, and more importantly these are the two inputs to the iPhone

Your problem is due to your dock shorting out and thinking something is connected to it. Normally when you connect an iPhone accessory/cable/charger/etc that device has a resistor. The resistor value, tells the iPhone what kind of thing it is attached to

You are sort of out of luck. What electronics company do you know covers water damage ?

I am sorry for your loss, and do feel sympathy , but there is little help we can offer you here

5. ElliotWestacott thread starter macrumors newbie

None cover water damage, thats not my point, my point is if for example my computer got wet but everything worked except my graphics card i could get another one installed at a fraction of the cost of the whole product. Here, only the dock is broken, and now I have to buy a whole new phone if i want to use it with my computer.

That to me is a joke.

6. svndmvn Guest

if it's a desktop, possible, if it's a portable you'd have to pay for a new logic board, the price is close to the whole unit's.
    Either way, as I was saying, if you only talk to Apple, call the number or go to an Apple store, and ask that they fix it, it will not cost you 1000 or 500$, I'm pretty sure it should be around 200$. They will not fix it, they will give you another one.
    About the spots the sensors are. Since we're talking ultra ultraportable devices, a bit of water's enough for you to be doomed and for you to need a new chipset. Most cellphones in the US have sensors right underneath the Battery, so the phone itself can actually work even though the sensor changed color, and if it doesn't work you usually have to just buy another one.

7. ElliotWestacott thread starter macrumors newbie

True, I called Apple and the replacement fee was $1068 (this is all SGD - so about $700USD) Basically Im screwed. Either buy a new one, or use the old one without being able to use it on a computer anymore. I reckon I would have felt better if the phone broke completely, at least I could understand having to replace it.

Thanks for all your help guys, it is much appreciated.

8. tjobeid macrumors member

I can fix anyproblem on i phones lcd digitezer and water damaged . Pm me for info. As The modds dont want me helping out people on here .

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I wonder why....

10. AzWildcat macrumors member

Dude....you can ssh to your computer and transfer files......not a big deal at all (if you have a jail broken phone, if not then fleabay a broken iphone and google how to change the docking port)

11. aok1975 macrumors 6502

very expensive lesson learned. do not spend $1000 on a phone.

12. Arakasi macrumors newbie

Hey, i am so sorry to hear about whats going on with your phone.
    I know it sucks that apple wont help you with repairs.
    However i would love to help you figure a cheaper way, and a correct way, to get your phone up and running again.
    I am a technician who repairs iphones and ipods all day.
    I invite you to take a look at our websites and maybe consider sending us your device. We can give you a full evaluation on every part inside your phone, and let you know exactly what is the only item or items to be replaced and get your phone running again.

http://www.milliamp.com/
    &
    http://www.ipodjuice.com/

Don't worry both our sites from us.
    Good luck ! Hope to hear from you ! :D