iPhone Repair Manual

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Namord, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Namord macrumors newbie

Greetings to one and all. My name is D, from Puerto Rico and this is my problem. I purchased a used iPhone 3G about a year ago and it has worked for me without much problem. In July, I went for a weekend to the States and I didn't check my pants when I wash them. The washing machine is one of those 'lock until done' types and it did suffered water damage.

My 1st mistake: The videos I've seen about the iPhone in the Rice was something I should've done and didn't do because the screen (not the digitizer) looked shady and all, but worked anyways.

My 2nd mistake: I opened the phone and didn't see any extra screws because the black tape was in the way. This made the LCD screen worsen when i pried it 'forcefully' and then I realized the hidden screws. When put together again, the screen went grayish.

My 3rd mistake: I got a new screen from HK and when I installed it, it was good to go! But it was a white screen. I'm thinking, there should be a video about this somewhere, but it is not a software problem. Yesterday, it did nothing. I can turn on and off the sound and it still vibrates, but i get no picture or anything at all.

I plugged it for a bit but still nothing. I know the screen is good and the battery holds a charge, but WHY doesn't it display? Is there someone out there with an e-copy of the repair and parts manual? If so, please let me know ASAP. I'm certain that I can replace the parts w/o a problem and hopefully not spend over $200+ for repairs I can make myself on parts alone. IF YOU ARE A GENIUS, PLEASE REPLY. Thank you for your time.

And if this by chance has been posted similarly elsewhere, please direct me to the posting. Thank you.:apple:

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

so you are saying you put in the new lcd and it is white? well then your lcd is bad. what you need to do is make sure the phone is completely dry. it is best to take the iphone completely apart and dry it in rice. if its still put together it will take much longer. after doing this you need to hold the off button and home button down at the same time until you see the phone shut off and come back on. make sure you see the apple logo. if not replace the lcd cause its bad! or you could have motherboard problems but most likely its the lcd.

3. Namord thread starter macrumors newbie

The Motherboard (or Logic Board as Apple calls it), may be it. Both the original and new screens did work, but between the screen and the board somethings a miss. I heard a rattle when i took it apart earlier. The vibrator motor still works, but can't display anything worth a damn. I still rule out a $45 screen w/digitizer. I'll try tomorrow to see about the rice trick on the phone W/O the screen and leave it there for 2 days. I'll let you know what happened. anyone else wishes to share? I'll be all ears :D

Will I need a Ziplock or just a regular bag and SEALED? where am I going to place it at?