Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhoUcallinNooB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Well I guess the first step when trying to unlock your Iphone would be to call your carrier, and simply see if it's possible for them to factory unlock your phone right? But what if your not with that carrier, or you may not be out of your contract yet. There are even some cases where a carrier customer my have reached their limit on unlocking through their account.

So because of these limitations put on your phone one has to resort to ether jailbreaking or going to a third party unlockers (phone repair/hacking shop), which can be quite pricey! I guess the question that I'm putting to the forum is, what are the methods used by these shops, and why isn't possible for everyone to use them?

From my very limited understanding, the idea is to get your imei number white listed on the apple server, and since this is only possible through apple, how can a third party do this? Hacking seems to be unlikely since no one has figured out any algorithm with the nck password (at least not to my knowledge).

IS THIS JUST AN INSIDER THING? ;)

Last edited:

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
It is possible for every carrier to unlock every iPhone they sell.

The real question is will they unlock your iPhone.
Each carrier has their own policy - from none to some to all iPhones

WhoUcallinNooB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
It is possible for every carrier to unlock every iPhone they sell.

The real question is will they unlock your iPhone.
Each carrier has their own policy - from none to some to all iPhones

Well, I understand that point, but what is it that allows these third parties to unlock iphones and not your average joe?

WhoUcallinNooB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
kind of like a street drug dealer won't reveal there contacts. ;) if they did we could cut of the middle man or steel the contact and start our own grey market. Also explains why it's called a grey market.

Ok, but this is my attempt to cut out the middle man and and post for free!! Do you have any idea? Because honestly, people who aren't tech literate, they'll still go to grey markets.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Ok, but this is my attempt to cut out the middle man and and post for free!! Do you have any idea? Because honestly, people who aren't tech literate, they'll still go to grey markets.

I think you are missing the point.
Persons with access to add IMEI numbers to Apple whitelist are not doing this for free.
They are charging a fee and the grey market dealers are adding a surcharge of their own.

WhoUcallinNooB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
I think you are missing the point.
Persons with access to add IMEI numbers to Apple whitelist are not doing this for free.
They are charging a fee and the grey market dealers are adding a surcharge of their own.

Ok I see, gotcha. Any brute force software?

WhoUcallinNooB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
I like the handle it fits!

Lol I know right... But I'm kinda taking the position of not knowing anything... I actually know a lot about iphones, and I know a couple of sources for $50 a unlock. I could do that and charge $150. What I was hoping to luck up on is maybe some kind of brute force software.

WhoUcallinNooB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
No, there is no brute force software that will officially unlock an iphone.
They use official methods, someone with acess to a carriers system that sends imei's to Apple for unlocking.

Thanks for the insight apple, any news on a 5.1.1 unlock?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thanks for the insight apple, any news on a 5.1.1 unlock?

Nothing as far as I know but if you really want it factory unlocked theres plenty people selling IMEI unlocks for $50-60
Might be worth it.
Some gevey sim unlocking adapters sell for $30-40 and they can become useless if you upgrade your phones firmware.
An official unlock is forever for that device.
Up to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.