Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lethal state

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Hello everyone, I hope you all are doing well.

So yesterday my power button stopped working on my iPhone 4S and in still under warranty so I know I can get it fixed. But I purchased my phone of someone else and it's not under sprint contract anymore and I used the GPP sim imposer to unlock the phone.

I called an apple representative yesterday but he had no idea what a sim imposer is so he wasn't able to answer my questions. So my questions are 1. Will they still replace my phone even though I used a GPP sim unlocked iPhone. 2. Could they give me a factory unlocked replacement because the GPP sim hasn't been proven to work with IOS 7 yet.
(My iPhone is not jail broken so yes it still is under warranty)
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hello everyone, I hope you all are doing well.

So yesterday my power button stopped working on my iPhone 4S and in still under warranty so I know I can get it fixed. But I purchased my phone of someone else and it's not under sprint contract anymore and I used the GPP sim imposer to unlock the phone.

I called an apple representative yesterday but he had no idea what a sim imposer is so he wasn't able to answer my questions. So my questions are 1. Will they still replace my phone even though I used a GPP sim unlocked iPhone. 2. Could they give me a factory unlocked replacement because the GPP sim hasn't been proven to work with IOS 7 yet.
(My iPhone is not jail broken so yes it still is under warranty)
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
I'm guessing here, but there are also some known facts.

They know what a Gevey SIM is. They just played dumb because that's not an Apple authorized thing. Just like they would play dumb about jailbreaking.

1. I would say yes. You are under warranty. Remove the Gevey before you go in.
2. No. Your model is a Sprint iPhone 4S. They will replace your iPhone with a Sprint iPhone 4s. Apple is not obligated to give you an unlocked iPhone when the original bill of sale was for a locked Sprint iPhone 4S. Therefore, all you are entitled to is a locked Sprint iPhone 4s. BTW, a Gevey is not an unlock. Take your Gevey out of your iPhone and try to use it on your carrier and you will find out this is the case. A true unlock means you don't have to use a Gevey. Apple may attempt to activate your iPhone on Sprint.

I'm thinking at this point is where they may end up confused because you probably don't have service with Sprint. You may be able to talk them out of that or tell them up front that you will take care of the activation part, IDK. No idea after that what will happen when you try to put your Gevey in the new phone.

Additionally, if the OS is different your Gevey may not work.

Again, Apple is not obligated to provide you anything that is going to function with your Gevey, nor to provide you with an unlocked iPhone just because you "unlocked" it in an Apple-unapproved manner.

Last edited:

Lethal state

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
I'm guessing here, but there are also some known facts.

They know what a Gevey SIM is. They just played dumb because that's not an Apple authorized thing. Just like they would play dumb about jailbreaking.

1. I would say yes. You are under warranty. Remove the Gevey before you go in.
2. No. Your model is a Sprint iPhone 4S. They will replace your iPhone with a Sprint iPhone 4s. Apple is not obligated to give you an unlocked iPhone when the original bill of sale was for a locked Sprint iPhone 4S. Therefore, all you are entitled to is a locked Sprint iPhone 4s. BTW, a Gevey is not an unlock. Take your Gevey out of your iPhone and try to use it on your carrier and you will find out this is the case. A true unlock means you don't have to use a Gevey. Apple may attempt to activate your iPhone on Sprint.

I'm thinking at this point is where they may end up confused because you probably don't have service with Sprint. You may be able to talk them out of that or tell them up front that you will take care of the activation part, IDK. No idea after that what will happen when you try to put your Gevey in the new phone.

Additionally, if the OS is different your Gevey may not work.

Again, Apple is not obligated to provide you anything that is going to function with your Gevey, nor to provide you with an unlocked iPhone just because you "unlocked" it in an Apple-unapproved manner.

Okay I set up an appointment hopefully they will be able to help me

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
When you go there take out the GPP. If you bring it to them with that inside they might deny you service so better safe than sorry. Don't let them see it.
If they replace the phone and it comes with ios 7 then you're stuck cause your gpp wont work any more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.