iPhone replaced by warranty today... a friend said my contract will be extended (?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael Scrip, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

My iPhone 5S screen messed up last night... similar to the image below.

Apple replaced it for free under warranty at the Apple Store today.

I mentioned on Facebook that Apple replaced my phone... and a friend replied "And a new contract"

That's not right, is it? This had nothing to do with Verizon or my plan... it was a straight warranty swap, right?

Or am I wrong?

[​IMG]

2. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

You can only extend your contract when purchasing a new phone with a 2 year agreement, which you would need to be eligible for. Replacements under warranty do not extend anything. Don't listen to your friend.

3. Michael Scrip thread starter macrumors 601

OK... thanks!!!!

4. Draconestra macrumors newbie

Yeah, you're "friend" isn't remotely right. I did a warranty swap recently, no contract extension here. What will happen is that, it might make it a hassle to swap a phone through AT&T, but why do that when Apple can take care of you instead.

5. Michael Scrip thread starter macrumors 601

Exactly.

I didn't even think of involving Verizon in this matter. I made an appointment with the Apple Store directly... since I knew I was still under warranty.

The phone wasn't dropped or damaged in any way... the screen and digitizer just randomly messed up.

I hadn't even thought about the carrier until he said something. I'm glad he was wrong :)

6. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Just the usual case of people running their mouths with no clue what they are talking about. No contact extension.

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Yeah don't bother with Verizon unless you start having service issues with the replacement. Then just get them to give you a new sim. Shouldn't be an issue though.

8. Michael Scrip thread starter macrumors 601

So far so good! But I will monitor the situation. :)