Iphone replaced

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Encanto, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Encanto macrumors regular

Please accept my apologiez if this have been asked already, which I assume that it has. I took my Iphone today to the apple store to get it replaced. They gave me an Iphone in a white box from a droor that they had behind the counter. How do you know if your phone is refurbished or new? Is it possioble to find out? Please help me out.

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

If I'm not mistaken if you read the warranty they have the option to repair or replace and the replacement can be a refurbished model the decision is up to them, Apple has a pretty good track record of replacing with new products though.

I've bought a few refurbished products from them and to be honest I think if I had a problem with my phone I'd be open to getting a refurbished phone since unlike regular production model they are fixed, tested, and tested again. :D

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My experience with Apple...

was exchanging a week 32 iPhone because of a software glitch (their exact words), and the Genius went to the back room and pulled a week 47 iPhone out of "the little white box" because I did not bring my iPhone box and cords/docking station, etc... So I was exchanging an iPhone for an iPhone, no other strings attached. But I did notice that the "Please retain this document for your records" had my "OLD" Serial No. and my "NEW" Serial No. never appeared on my receipt. Yes, it was a brand new iPhone, and I was extremely happy with the outcome. Just check your serial number: 5X747 = week 47 iPhone. :cool:

4. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I went with my friend a month or so ago when he exchanged his iPhone and he wondered the same thing. He asked the genius about it being refurbished and was told that all phones sent to be used as replacements come in that packaging. He also said that they were not refurbished phones used as replacements. I don't know how much this guy actually knew or how much of what he said was true, but that is what he told us.

5. Encanto thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you guys for replying to my questions and concerns. So, I went in yesterday to the genius bar at the apple store and the guy right away said he would swap my phone for a different one. He also said that apple does not use refurbished phones as replacements. So, who knows. Anyways, I got a different phone now and it seems to be working perfectly. My old phone serial number started with 8k and this new onew is 5k. How can you find out what week number is this phone? By the way I bought a new an Agent 18 Ecoshield for the iphone. Does anyone have any good or bad experience with this? Thank you

6. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

A refurbished phone wouldn't be bad anyway. They put a new case and everything, so only a few insides would be reused.

7. thestaton macrumors 6502

8. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

they are not technically refurbished..they are service parts.

either way...as someone said above..it is a working phone to replace your non-working one1

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Nothing special about week 47...

iPhones, I was just using it as an example to determine how old you iPhone is or to determine if it's NEW. :cool: