iPhone Replacement at Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xxtee78xx, Jan 11, 2008.

1. xxtee78xx macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I have a 4gb iPhone that I bought on launch day. My touch screen gets a little choppy on some areas, and the "r" button doesn't work when I have the iPhone sideways. I got an appointment at the genius bar tomorrow. Do they replace the whole phone or do they actually send it out for a repair? If they send it out for repair, do you get a loaner phone?

Thanks!

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

If it isn't working for them, they should give you a new one.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Different posters have had different experiences.

Some have posted saying their phone gets sent in for a repair and they get a loaner iPhone for free. Others have to pay $x.

Others have posted saying they just get the phone swapped out right there on the spot. That has been my personal experience-- I'm on my 3rd iPhone. The first one they gave me a brand new iPhone on the spot. The 2nd time they gave me a refurbished unit.

Hope that helps, OP.

4. adamsaf723 macrumors newbie

I had a washed out row of pixels on my screen and they just gave me a brand new one. Took about 5 minutes, and when I hooked it up to iTunes, everything I had synced: contacts, songs, movies, text messages, alarm clocks, notes, etc. was all saved and copied. It was so smooth... I was quite impressed.

5. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

I just took mine in a week ago and they swapped it out right there with a refurbished one. I was kinda hoping they might not have any 4gb and give me an 8gb but I guess that was wishful thinking, they apparently still have a supply of 4gb. Oh well I don't even use all the 4gb anyway.

6. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

7. snook911 macrumors 6502a

they will replace it I'm sure but it will be with a refurb. When I brought mine in they had a whole draw full of refurbs for people that needed a replacement.

8. ExitRightHere macrumors newbie

ExitRightHere

Problem IPhone

TO: XXTEE

I had a problem with my 4 gb IPhone back in September where my vibrate didn't work at all. They sent it off for service and gave me a 8 gb loaner phone. An IPhone was shipped back promptly 2 days later and it was brand new. Haven't had a problem since.

9. rollingstart Guest

Same thing here, the top half of my screen went dead. However it was the smoothest warranty replacement I've ever experienced. Just made an appt. at an Apple Store through Apple Support. Once there the genius took a quick look at it and broke out a replacement. A short wait for activation and all that was left was a quick restore on iTunes when I got home.

One thing I'm wondering, though, is if Apple Care customers get preferential treatment. "I see you have Apple Care" is one of the first things both the phone guy and the Genius mentioned.

10. xxtee78xx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies. I got me a good as new refurb iPhone today, with no problems.

11. vega07 macrumors 65816

did any of you guys hack your phone and was successful in getting it replaced?

12. nippyjun macrumors 65816

When they give you a replacement phone what do they do?

1. Do they swap the sim cards?

2. Do they take all the data from your old phone and transfer it to the new phone?

3. Do they wipe the old phone's memory so any sensitive data/settings are gone?

Thanks.

13. cadeucsb macrumors member

they swap the sim, wipe the old phone and activate the new one...then I volunteered to restore it myself when I got home since itunes backs up your iphone every time you sync. (i got mine replaced on the spot last week for freezing)

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

New replacement phones will come out of a white box with just the film protecting the screen. All the Genius will need to do is swap sims. The replacement phones are already activated so swapping sims makes the iPhone usuable right then and there. Once you get home and connect the phone to the computer, iTunes will actually reactivate the phone and will only take a few seconds. Then you will be presented with the restore your previous back up screen.

I went through this just today at the Apple store. I got a brand new week one iPhone. It has 1.1.2 on it and my previous phones backup was from a 1.1.3. I couldn't restore the backup because the 1.1.3 backup can't be restored on a 1.1.2 phone. I'm gonna take a few days to decide on if I want to upgrade my new phone to 1.1.3. I have a second iPhone that already has 1.1.3 on it so it's no big deal if I don't upgrade the new one.

I already wiped my old phone before I brought it in, didn't want any personal texts to be read and I didn't want my girlfriends number out there.