iPhone Replacement due to Dust

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by millertime021, May 20, 2010.

1. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Does anyone have experience with getting an exchange if you're iPhone had dust under the screen.

Mine has some and it's rather annoying at times (I can live with it, but still).

Do you know if Apple will exchange it if I am still under the 1 year warranty?

2. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

I remember people using it as a reason to get a new phone. I have a rather large piece of dirt under my screen and am planning on brining it in.

Has anyone done this lately.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just make sure it doesn’t matter to you if you’re at the newest baseband.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yes apple will replace it I've had several now.

5. tnisatard macrumors 6502

ive heard apple doesnt replace it anymore, they just take out the screen, clean out the dust

6. Korn313 macrumors newbie

I had dust under my screen and they replaced the screen and all the guts in the phone

7. jthomp macrumors regular

I took mine in on April 20th for dust (a TON of dust) under the screen. While there the Genius noted the dust on the "ticket" and also said since there was a crack at the dock connector, they would like to replace/exchange/swap my phone. Fantastic!

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I took mine in for that issue a while back, they replaced the screen and everything was nice, new, and shiny. No dust. No new phone, but I was happy either way.

9. omegaphil6 macrumors 6502

My iPhone 3G last year got dust under the screen and I had apple replace it. And just 2 days ago I had my 3GS replaced for the same reason. I opted the go online and do the advance exchange for $29.99 from apple's website. They overnighted me a new phone. It arrived on Tuesday, I sent back my old one Wednesday and I just got an email that they received it today. Done and done! For me it beats driving 15 miles to the apple store, dealing with people in person surrounded by hoards of shoppers and then $15miles to drive home.

I hope the 4G Iphone's new casing helPs prevent the dust under the screen issues. It's such a pain plus I'm sure it sucks for apple to replace a phone simply due to dust.

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Apple use to simply replace the phones, but not they replace the glass only. Happen to me a couple of weeks. The gentleman took the phone verified everything and came back with my iPhone and a new screen in less than 10 minutes.

11. millertime021 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Awesome, I'll make a trip down to my store then.

I'm not trying to get a whole new phone, so the new glass is fine. I'd just like to see if I could get a "cleaner" screen.

Thanks for the input.

12. millertime021 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millertime021

I wonder if they'll give me a whole new phone since they may be trying to rid some stock with the release of iPhone 4 soon. :p

13. MDMac macrumors regular

MDMac

Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust.

14. neal.young macrumors member

A couple weeks ago, I got my whole phone replaced because I came into the Apple Store about 15 minutes after my genius bar appointment, and a regular employee helped me. He took my phone, went in the back, and came out with a new phone for me.

15. millertime021 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Went to the Apple store today with my iPhone after a wonderful experience restoring it. My most recent backup file was corrupt so I lost a few months of data and when I restored it, I had to enter DFU mode due to an endless reboot cycle. Anyway, I got to the store and made an appointment. The "genius" looked at it and took it to the back. 10-15 minutes later I had a brand new screen with no dust or scratches. Very easy and painless experience. :)

Now I think I'll jailbreak with Spirit again. Until OS 4 then I'll give that a shot.