iPhone Replacement Help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Doju, May 23, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Hey, I have some questions about replacing my iPhone 3G in Canada (on Rogers) that I bought in July on launch day.

I got it replaced back in August a month after I got it, and it's been relatively good since then.

But, it has some problems that are becoming more prominent by the day.

For one, it probably has around two hundred dead pixels. I mean, a 320x480 screen has 150,000+ pixels, so I mean I wasn't going crazy about it. But when I heard people going crazy over a dead pixel, and I look at my refurbished iPhone with hundreds, I started to notice them and be bothered more and more.

Secondly, the home switch is getting harder to press.

Third, the sleep button is practically flush with the phone top. REALLY hard to press.

Lastly, if it's on vibrate, and I press the top left part of the phone (slightly to the left of ear-speaker) it will vibrate each time I press there. Sometimes when it's in my pocket and I move a certain way it vibrates because of the weird vibrate glitchiness.

So, it's a problematic phone. It's on Rogers, could I just call Apple and get a replacement shipped in? It's ten months old, scratched pretty badly on the back. Will that damage my chances? It didn't get wet ever nor is the wet-meter-thing activated.

If I do call them and get a replacement, will it hurt my chances of being able to upgrade to the new iPhone this summer? I don't want to go to upgrade and see at a Rogers store, "Oh, you cost us a lot in replacement phones so we won't let yo upgrade."

Could I do it? I know Apple's trying to clear their stock so a new one wouldn't be too hard to get ... I'd think. Plus, when I sell it this summer to get a new one it'd be great if it looked awesome.

2. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

I would call Apple and get it replaced, I've had mine replace a couple times, matter of fact just had it replaced today, my phone stop getting calls but I could still text and surf the web. They will not hold it against you, along as it's not your fault.

3. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

4. nickhutson macrumors regular

I reported the silent button problem on this forum about a week ago. I have since made an appointment with the Genius Bar (recommended... Apple won't see you if you just walk in ad hoc and report a problem unless there's a slot free).

They swiftly replaced my phone. They won't give you a brand new one, but they will give you a tested and tested again refurb product.

So - yeah - take it to the genius bar, and they will more than likely sort it out for you.

5. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

wow can you post a picture of 200 dead pixels :p

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Do the replacement through rogers. That's what I've been doing. Basically they send you the phone first with a prepaid packaging slip and you send your defective one back.

Through apple you have to send yours in first

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Just go to an Apple Store. A genius will replace it in 5 minutes.

I've had iPhone 3Gs replaced for less issues than than. 200 dead pixels? Really?

8. war eagle macrumors 6502a

I just had mine replaced because the microphone went out and the replacement I received is trash. Often not reading my sim card and constantly getting call failed. I'm going to have to go through Apple Care for the next replacement because i'm back at school now.