Iphone replacement policy question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LindseyDarragh, Feb 1, 2011.

1. LindseyDarragh macrumors newbie

My husband has a 3gs which he dropped and broke the screen on. He attempted to replace the screen himself but did not follow the instructions correctly and has cracked the digitizer. The last time I was in the apple store a rep told me that if you break your iphone, regardless of how and you keep the pieces then apple will sell you a replacement phone for 199. He even went as afar as to mention that a man once brought in the pieces from a a phone run over by a lawnmower and was still eligible. Now this was quite some time ago so my question is, is this poilcy still in effect? Also. because he has a 3gs will he be required to purchase another 3gs or will he be able to purchase an iphone 4?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

2. Gordon Gekko macrumors regular

Did you purchase Applecare Protection Plan for the iPhone?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

He can only replace it for $200 with the same model iPhone. Tell him to bing it to Apple.

4. LindseyDarragh thread starter macrumors newbie

we did not purchase any apple care. All we have is a busted up iphone. Well, it is nice to know that he can purchase the same model. DO you know if it would be possible to purchase the iphone 4 for like an upgrade price or is another 3gs really the only option?

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

It all depends on the status of your contract and how much you are willing to pay. AT&T can give you a better answer. :cool:

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Applecare is irrelevant as it wouldn't cover this sort of damage. As you thought, Apple will replace an out of warranty phone for the same type for $199 - it's all detailed here

7. sandman42, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I think Applecare probably would have covered (or at least partially covered) the original damage, but as soon as you started to do the repair yourself (which of course, if you'd had the coverage, you probably wouldn't've done) the coverage would probably be void. I think Applecare addresses, to some degree or another, any damage/defect/mishap other than loss or theft (where the phone is physically completely absent) or intentional mis-use (which I think would include self-service, in their eyes). If your phone is covered by Applecare and becomes damaged (e.g. you drop and break it) they won't necessarily replace it free of charge, but I'm pretty sure they will repair/replace it at a reduced cost. I dropped my Applecare-covered iPhone 4 and shattered the screen, and I took it to Apple with the expectation that they would repair it (actually they just replace) for a fee, but they gave me a new one and sent me on my way gratis.

The link above is for regular Apple warranty coverage, Applecare coverage for iPhone is detailed here (though if you dig through the terms and conditions it does say that accidental damage is not covered).

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Applcare specifically does not cover accidental damage, but YMMV depending on the store and the Genius. Honesty and politeness are usually the best way to go, they'll pretty much fix anything unless you start giving them reasons not to.

9. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Yeah, I do see that in the terms on Apple's web site. I'm a little surprised, because I would have sworn they told me at the time I bought Applecare that there was some sort of subsidized repair element to the coverage, regardless of the reason for the damage, as long as the phone wasn't completely gone (they have to guard against people that would sell it and say it was lost or stolen). Maybe I'm just thinking of their screen replacement service, which may have nothing to do with Applecare.

10. Applejuiced, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You dont need applecare.
    Its called an out of warranty replacement where they take in your broken iphone and give you a replacement for $200.
    If you want to purchase the iphone 4 you will have to do it after and check your upgrade eligability etc...
    They will only replace it with the same model phone, you dont have an option to pay extra for the newer model or anything like that.
    Contact your carrier and check to see when you're due for an upgrade and find out more details there. This out of warranty replacement will not mess or extend your upgrade date, its all out of contract.

11. LindseyDarragh thread starter macrumors newbie