Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I'm about to send my iPhone to Apple Care.

I was wondering should I make like a wallpaper writing down all the symptoms and problems with it?

Or should I just send it as it is?

Do they send you a replacement or repair it? I'd personally prefer a replacement.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
They usually don't repair them; they'll send your a refurbished replacement. Then they'll fix your phone, replace the battery and shell, and use that when the next guy comes along with a problem :) Good system.

I wouldn't bother writing down issues; they'll be linked to the ticket that you made when you reported the problems in the first place.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
They usually don't repair them; they'll send your a refurbished replacement. Then they'll fix your phone, replace the battery and shell, and use that when the next guy comes along with a problem :) Good system.

I wouldn't bother writing down issues; they'll be linked to the ticket that you made when you reported the problems in the first place.

If it does work like that, it indeed is a good system.

Thanks Blevins! :)

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Well... not only did Apple not replace my phone, but it is being returned to me unfixed.

So much for Apple's great service!

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Well... not only did Apple not replace my phone, but it is being returned to me unfixed.

So much for Apple's great service!

Why? What happened? I had an issue with my 4S a couple weeks ago and they replaced it for me. Sent me the new one in a black box and told me to send the one I had in the white box that came with it. Pretty good system. I had to pay $40 though because I wanted the new iPhone asap and had them send it before me sending in the old one.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Why? What happened? I had an issue with my 4S a couple weeks ago and they replaced it for me. Sent me the new one in a black box and told me to send the one I had in the white box that came with it. Pretty good system. I had to pay €29 ($40) though because I wanted the new iPhone asap and had them send it before me sending in the old one.

Our technicians have performed full diagnostic checks on your IPHONE 3GS and have been unable to reproduce the symptom(s) you reported when you requested service. As a result of our tests, we can confirm that your product meets Apple specifications for performance, usability, and functionality.

I have a problem with the screen, it's obviously there, you can see it on dark backgrounds, the gray rectangle all around the screen.

I should've sent them the notes. I'm going to give them a call again when I receive the phone.

Frankly, very unimpressed judging from all the stories people say about Apple, well... their service is ******, I've had MUCH better experiences with other companies.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I have a problem with the screen, it's obviously there, you can see it on dark backgrounds, the gray rectangle all around the screen.

I should've sent them the notes. I'm going to give them a call again when I receive the phone.

Frankly, very unimpressed judging from all the stories people say about Apple, well... their service is ******, I've had MUCH better experiences with other companies.

I've never tried a 3GS and I've never had that problem on my 4 or 4S. Sorry to hear that they just sent yours back. Try again. Maybe going into an Apple store would be better?

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I've never tried a 3GS and I've never had that problem on my 4 or 4S. Sorry to hear that they just sent yours back. Try again. Maybe going into an Apple store would be better?

I'll definitely call them back once I receive it. Unfortunately they don't have an Apple store in Ireland or I'd have gone.

So disappointed, especially considering how much I defended Apple and their service when people talked down on them.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I'll definitely call them back once I receive it. Unfortunately they don't have an Apple store in Ireland or I'd have gone.

So disappointed, especially considering how much I defended Apple and their service when people talked down on them.

Haha how weird. I'm in Ireland too. It really sucks that we don't have any Apple stores here

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Well... I finally received the phone today and as expected, nothing has been fixed, the same thing still there...

Here are some picture I took.

Open the pictures in full size, do you see the grey line all around the screen? It's inside the screen, no screen protectors, no area where screen connects to a digitizer.

Check if you have the same on your iPhones...

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/201723/1/New Folder?h=b1e967

Also the gray picture I used is...

http://www.thepentecostalsofowensboro.com/dark_grey-960x1335.jpg

I've checked all my friend's iPhones, 3G, 3GS, 4, none have a similar issue.

Also the phone comes to a CRAWL when I load my apps, and these are mainstream and popular apps too, when I type something I have to type and then wait a few seconds for the text to appear.

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
I see the problem, i'd mark the pictures when showing them that problem, i have a feeling they don't see it even if it's obvious to some..

That is a big annoying problem imho!

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I see the problem, i'd mark the pictures when showing them that problem, i have a feeling they don't see it even if it's obvious to some..

That is a big annoying problem imho!

Yea, it's quite annoying once you spot it and obviously should not be there.

visim91

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
No one's perfect, not even Apple. Pretend you have to describe your situation to a two year-old child; pick up a pen - or startup your favorite text editor - and jot down notes/steps to replicate the issue. Send them with the phone the next time around. Hell, I'd say to even link Apple to your Dropbox gallery, so they have further authentication.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Hey guys, an update.

After getting the phone back, I called Apple again, got redirected to a higher up, a nice, friendly guy called Brandon, anyways he forced replacement, I sent the phone in again and it got replaced! Yey!

Thanks everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.