iPhone Replacement Service - How?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tomato910, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Tomato910 macrumors newbie

Can anyone explain this to me.

My iPhone broke a few months ago, uninsured, would not switch on. As I live in quite a rural part of China right now, I didn't have access to any Apple service so I decided to open it up and see what could've gone wrong. Long story short I made the whole thing a lot worse and when I put it back I did not even put all the screws back in and the iPhone was slightly 'fatter' because of my shoddy workmanship. ANYWAY! I arrived back in the UK a few weeks ago and noticed this ad on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....838552&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

He claims to have a friend working in Apple who can replace broken iPhones. I called him up, he seemed decent, won the auction, paid for the replacement. The next day I got an AppleCare box with prepaid postage. Put my iPhone in. Today I got a brand new iPhone from UPS.

Does anyone know how this works? I'm quite sure he does not have a friend working at Apple, and the price is below what the cheapest AppleCare sells for so I'm really confused!

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Gray market I'd imagine; he's probably just flipping internal components from different phones. Back when colorwarepc was just starting up they sent me back my iPod with a cannibalized motherboard from a U2 iPod...it happens, but if it works, well....

3. JohnsiPhone macrumors newbie

Don't like the looks of it.... try it at your own risk..

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Did you read the post? It's already been done, the OP is just wondering how it worked.