iPhone Replacement without going to Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emr25, May 25, 2009.

1. emr25 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

So I as well have started to notice larger than acceptable cracks in my White iPhone 3G. I've always had light leak and a few dead pixels (bought last July a week after release), but the docking port is cracked across the smaller edge and about 1" up the device in the middle. Along with a few other small cracks, I'm ready for a replacement.

My question is this, can I receive a replacement iPhone without going to an Apple Store? The closest one is a few hours away from me, and I would rather not waste a whole day, gas, etc. Can this be done via mail?

Thanks.

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

I doubt it. Apple has always been very careful how they handle iPhone problems and I have a feeling it has to be taken in to an Apple Retail Store to be examined by a Genius first.

They cannot ship you a new iPhone without verifying it's actually flawed.

3. emr25 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I was just thinking it would be possible for them to ship me a "loaner" phone while they examine mine and then decide on a replacement, etc. I feel like it's bad practice if they don't allow this, as some people live nowhere close to a Retail Store.

Anyone else with prior knowledge on the subject? I'm trying to get an idea of whether I should clear my Saturday for a long trip to the Apple Store.

4. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Actually, I read a post on here just yesterday where Apple sent them a pre-paid box for the person to return the iphone in. Apparently, he was without a phone from Monday to Friday, when a replacement arrived at their home. They did not send a "loaner" for in the meantime though.

5. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I understand. Actually, now that I think about it, you might be able to get a replacement over mail-order by calling AppleCare (your phone is still under warranty because it's less than a year old). However, if that is at all the case, they'll want you to send them your phone first and then they would ship you a replacement.

6. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

umm you will probably have to drive

since your phone functionally works 100% you need to go in and explain why you want a replacement phone

7. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I got mine replaced in advanced. I don't have Apple Care, so for $29.99 They sent me a replacement iPhone, and then I shipped my old one back to them. If you bought the Apple Care Protection Plan, It is free, they just put a hold on your credit card for the non-return fee. $399.99 4, 8 GB iPhone, $499.99 16 GB iPhone. And for the 3G iPhone, $399.99 8 Gb and $499.99 for 16 GB.

8. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Yup, this is absolutely the correct answer. I actually live less than an hour away from 3 Apple Stores and they still offered to replace via mail, I told them I would just go to the store, but they still offered.

So yes, you can replace via mail. They will send you an iPhone and the box it comes in will have a return label so you can send yours back ( you'll never be without an iPhone ) Then if it is deemed that your iPhone does require replacement, then you just keep the one they sent you... Easy.

9. emr25 thread starter macrumors member

Update!

In case anyone was still wondering, I ended up going the call AppleCare and pay $30 to have an Advance Replacement sent route. I called Saturday, received the Replacement iPhone Monday (yesterday), and I plan on sending the old one back today. Overall, a pretty satisfactory experience. The Replacement looks very nice, only issue I noticed was a slight "light leak" on the left side, but nothing I can't live with. I also had my USB Cable replaced as the dock connector end was splitting away from the cable, exposing the wiring. This also came yesterday, and I will be sending my old one in as well.

Anyways, thanks to everyone for the help, it saved me from a 2-hour trip the the closest Apple Store.

Now I'm just another happy Apple customer!