iphone replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevoeddz, May 22, 2008.

1. stevoeddz macrumors member

right now the sleep/wake button on my iphone needs to be pushed very hard to sleep/wake. will apple give me a the new 3g iphone as a replacement since there is a shortage now?

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Shortage of brand new units to sell at retail? yes
    Shortage of refurbs to replace defective units? no

3. neven macrumors 6502a

Short answer: no.

Long answer: no. Even if you wait until the new phone comes out, they'll have plenty of current ones to replace yours with. The fact that stores are out of iPhones for sale right now doesn't mean that Apple has zero iPhones on their hands; they have a good supply of existing models for this very purpose - replacing your "old" iPhone.

At some point in the future, they'll run out of them, but that won't be for quite a while. At that time, they'll try to fix your iPhone first before handing you a newer model.

With enough whining, they *might* give you a new one as a replacement a few months after it comes out, but that's unlikely.

4. stevoeddz thread starter macrumors member

i heard that the people who need a replacement for their 4gb iphone were given an 8gb. would that be the same for the 3g?

5. neven macrumors 6502a

No.

4 GB iPhones were made in small numbers, since Apple learned early on that very few people were buying them. I can definitely see Apple running out of them in some locations.

It's very unlikely that they'll run out of current 8 GB and 16 GB models (replacement ones, anyway) any time soon.