Iphone replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fahqu001, Jan 24, 2009.

1. fahqu001 macrumors newbie

Have a question regarding replacement iphones. I have a iphone 3g, but it's unlocked and I'm using it on Tmobile. How do I go about getting a replacement iphone if my accelerometer isn't working properly (safari stays in landscape, caculator, etc.) I bought it brand new out of the box from a guy, so it's never been "activated." I searched Apple's website and confirmed that.

I was going to take it to an Apple store, but they said I needed to bring my sim card, and obviously I don't have ATT. I'm apprehensive about giving my serial number over the phone to an Apple representative till I know I'm not going to be black listed. I don't want to look fishy when they ask how do I know my accelerometers don't work and it's not activated.

Note: I've already tried restoring the phone and seeing if the accelerometers work. I even purchased an accelerometer application which indicates my phone is stuck in left landscape. If anybody has any guidance on how to "fix" my accelerometer issue or how to go about getting a replacement phone, I'd really appreciate it.

2. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

What's wrong with restoring it to original state and taking it in? Tell them you bought it without a SIM from an individual who kept their SIM.

3. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

But the phones warranty says it must be activated with AT&T to get warranty service.

4. fahqu001 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I restore it to its original state, it goes back to the activation screen. So, if it's on the activation screen, they're going to ask how would I even know that the accelerometers don't work if it's never been activated.

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

They will know no matter what which is why they require the sim with the phone when you bring it in. They verify that it's acticated with AT&T.

6. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

The only place you can take it to get it fixed is Apple. So, you either do that or live with it. 'Brand new out of the box' huh?

7. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Can't he just go get a SIM (month-to-month, cheap one) from AT&T, pop it into iPhone, go get iPhone fix, then cancel AT&T SIM? It would be a pain in the butt, but would result in a fixed iPhone.

What about people who once had an AT&T plan for their iPhone, but had it cancelled (for whatever reason)? Is their Apple Care plan voided then?

8. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Yes.

9. iFerd macrumors 6502a

When I've needed Apple's attention in the past for a hardware issue, the first thing the person at the other end of the line asked was my iPhone number. I'm sure they then checked it against the AT&T database before proceeding any father with my issue. (I have AT&T service, so no problem for me.)

10. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

From what I have read by doing a Google search, the phone has to have been activated with AT&T at least once. This activates the warranty and lets Apple know when the warranty expires. Since this persons iPhone was never actovated, the warranty has never been activated so it doesn't exist yet so how can he get service without the warranty being in effect.

11. island macrumors 6502

island

Just find a friend with a legit iPhone and borrow his SIM card while you run to the Apple store and get the phone swapped out. PM me if you want more details on how you can do it.

12. fahqu001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, I tried to pm you, but I didn't not see any option to pm you. I'll IM you on AIM.

13. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Pretty sure that's wrong. AppleCare covers Apple hardware and software, not AT&T's network or service. In fact, no where in the terms of service is AT&T even mentioned.

The main problem I see comes when the Genius tries to give the OP a new phone. He (or she) will want to activate it and, without a SIM card (or AT&T service, for that matter), that will be impossible.

14. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Partly correct. The OP says his iPhone was new out of the box, so it was never registered and so the warranty was never started. The warranty begins on the day of registration when the iPhone was activated. Since this was never activated, the warranty doesn't exist and so he can't get the phone replaced. Simply adding an AT&T sim won't work either because the warranty is tied to the serial number.

15. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

That sounds true, but people who had AT&T service and then cancelled it would not fall into the same "never having their warranty started" boat.

16. fahqu001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would it work if someone with an iphone 3g contract used his phone number and my serial number when talking with the Apple representative, then sent my phone in, using his account? Think I would receive a replacement then?

Sorry if that didn't make very much sense. Hopefully it did.

17. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Probably not. I just went the Apple Store this afternoon because of a defect on my iPhone. They look up your information based on the serial number (which is located on the SIM tray). If you tried to tell them a phone number that didn't match the serial number of the phone in their database, they probably would get a little suspicious.

18. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

You can say you gave it as a gift to your mom, and bought one from Ebay

19. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Not trying to steal this thread or anything, but I bought my 3G from someone who cancelled AT&T because if the price. I do not use AT&T, and my phone is unlocked and jailbroken. I plan on taking it to apple because of a crack in the plastic. I am fairly sure that my phone will be replaced, but what will the genius do about activating my phone If I don't have AT&T?

20. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

I need to find a way to "Kill" my iphone, so that I can get a new one.

Its been acting up(freezes, turns off, etc.), but I can never reproduce it in the store. My First iPhone said "USB Over Current Notice, A USB device is currently drawing too much power." They gave me a new one on the spot.

To bad I couldn't do it again.
    I'm about ready to switch phones. They really need a big update.

21. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

That is considered fraud, shame on you.

22. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Have you tried restoring it? that fixed the same issues on mine

23. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Maybe you could just call up the apple store and tell them your story. I had an iphone that had the screen smashed off. I called up the apple store and told them what happened and to my suprise, they replaced it with a brand new one (16gb black) for $299 (just like as if I bought itfor the first time) . They waived the ATT subsidized fee even though I was technically suppose to pay full pricefor a new one. ATT wouldn't help me out at all.
    I thanked the guy and they even let me keep my old iphone 3g. I can post pics if you like. The point I guess was that I just nonchalantly asked what were my options and to my suprise, they actually hooked me up. The guy told me that they weren't suppose to because they have different categories for damage on the iphone and mine was considered damaged beyond repair, but they take into consideration the "human factor". Maybe they'll help you anyways despite being unlocked. I was shocked they did what they did as well as let me keep my old phone because just the screen was smashed...everything else was fine.
    I've found employees at the apple store are either cool and take things on a case by case basis or they are the wierd "I am smart- you are not" computer geek types.

:)

24. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

I have restored. I'll do it again. I won't restore from backup this time, I'll see if it works.
    Oh no.. Shame on me for having a $400 phone that doesn't even work right.

25. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Applecare is the same wherever you live, I would be surprised if the iPhone warranty explicitly reads that you must keep the handset on AT&T. I know they do not support jailbreaking or unlocking, but if you have reset to factory software, who really can tell you if your warranty is actually voided? The worst thing that can happen, the Genius Bar tech will refuse your iPhone service. They sure won't take it away.