Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
So, probably this has been addressed already but please bear with me here.

My iphone x reports that i have 166gb space left.

When i plug it to my Mac and open itunes, iTunes reports that i have 155gb left.

A difference of 11gb...

What is going on here? Which should i trust? Iphone or itunes?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Trust your phone. I don’t know why there is a discrepancy.
Weird thing is that I've noticed my phone complaining of low space when it shows like 4 GB free. Using a system info type of app ends up showing barely 1 GB free at that time. Go figure.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
"Other" is categorized and calculated differently between iOS and iTunes. Both are correct but iOS has more control to overwrite that "Other" (cached) data with new data.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
"Other" is categorized and calculated differently between iOS and iTunes. Both are correct but iOS has more control to overwrite that "Other" (cached) data with new data.
So i gather that this happens to everyone and is normal then?

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Yes it's normal, iOS and iTunes may calculate purgeable space differently. Trust the one that shows less, best tactics imo:) Or use some 3-dparty app that shows actual space taken including purgeable.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Yes it's normal, iOS and iTunes may calculate purgeable space differently. Trust the one that shows less, best tactics imo:) Or use some 3-dparty app that shows actual space taken including purgeable.
. Can you please recommend one for me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.