Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
AT&T was given the original exclusive contract by Apple. AT&T had three years to cultivate a customer base before any of the other telecoms got the opportunity to sale Iphones. That is the reason 73% of AT&T sales are Iphones. Its not because AT&T is doing anything special.

AT&T still offers the BEST network for iPhones, at least in the US.

- They've been GSM out of the box, since 2007. Tons of AT&T iPhones have been unlocked and are used all over the world, and that helps with resale value or if you decide to switch networks (it makes the AT&T phone worth more).
- They've been able to do Voice & Data at the same time. This isn't a huge deal, but it helps greatly if you're on speakerphone and want to look something up.
- They have the fastest download speeds. Even if iPhones on other networks were getting 100% speed, the AT&T iPhone would still be twice as fast as them.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I'll be buying the new iPhone with service through AT&T because it is the only service that works 100% reliably in my house. I am canceling the Verizon service on my 4S as soon as I can afford to pay the ETF.

There is a huge amount of people who have no idea the negatives of AT&T that people are posting here and so they will stay with AT&T.

I have no problem staying because I have never been throttled and have never used FaceTime, all non issues to me. I want a service that works when I need it and that is AT&T.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
AT&T still offers the BEST network for iPhones, at least in the US.

- They've been GSM out of the box, since 2007. Tons of AT&T iPhones have been unlocked and are used all over the world.
- They've been able to do Voice & Data at the same time. This isn't a huge deal, but it helps greatly if you're on speakerphone and want to look something up.
- They have the fastest download speeds. Even if iPhones on other networks were getting 100% speed, the AT&T iPhone would still be twice as fast as them.

I find it funny that people complain about either one. One is better in one area and the other in another.

They both have issues depending on what jojo head in India you run into trying to solve your problems.

They can print their own money and are businesses trying to maximize profits.

Having had ATT from the beginning I can confirm that they are trying to keep up with the ever rising data demand. It took a while to get 3G in my area and now it will take a while to get LTE to my area.

But, since I am a patient person, I'll wait and it will be there.

About the only thing that would be better would be an all Wi-Fi network across the country, something Steve looked into and figured out that it was impossible.

Maybe with ever advancing discoveries we'll get to see that some day.

There is no real alternative that works well (Maybe Sprint and T-Mobile one day)

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
EXACTLY. And they did one heck of a job keeping up with the unexpected boom in smartphones/iPhones.

They made a unforseen mistake offering unlimited data as they didn't know how fast the iPhone would take off.
They have done everything they can to recover and keep it as the FASTEST iPhone Telecom in the United States, by a long shot.
They still honor the unlimited plans that were grandfathered, but tend to throttle them to the speeds they would have received when they signed up back in 2008. Yes, that is right, you still get unlimited but not at 10 times the speed, so people quit complaining.
They are a business so they have to charge somewhere. Its s free market, go to Verizon if they have a better product and price point.

None of this is addressed to the person whom I quoted. Simply my 2 cents on the whole issue.

----------

And that customer base has ALL had a chance to switch. All contracts have expired at this point so I guess your point is moot. AT&T must be doing something pretty well because the predicted mass exit from AT&T for Verizon or Sprint didn't even come close to happening.

Maybe its..
-the WAY faster network
-the duplex network
-the cheaper plans for most
-the better options for nights/weekends, texting, Friends/Family, free call lists
-the WAY better customer service

You forgot how they forgot to upgrade their network while riding high on iphone bandwagon and only started doing upgrades when other carriers started getting iphones. Before that it was overloaded overcommitted garbage.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Please tell me this is sarcasm - because the fact that the iPhone is 73% of AT&T's smartphone sales tells us nothing about what percentage of the iPhone's success is due to AT&T.
Especially since over half of Apple's revenue comes from countries that aren't serviced by AT&T. Like the rest of the world.

But a lot of people here are pretty clueless to the world beyond their state. Maybe living in mommy's basement doesn't expand their worldviews.

This forum's American-centric bent is an embarrassment. There are a lot of participants here who have lived very sheltered lives.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
How is this possible?

I thought no one wanted a 3.5" screen and iOS was boring, and limited, and blah blah blah.

So after all the hype and lies about the RAZR outselling the iPhone, Verizon releases numbers and the iPhone smashes the competition.

Now we have AT&T, and it's the same story.

Next will be Sprint, and the results will be the same.

boronathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
How is this possible?

I thought no one wanted a 3.5" screen and iOS was boring, and limited, and blah blah blah.

So after all the hype and lies about the RAZR outselling the iPhone, Verizon releases numbers and the iPhone smashes the competition.

Now we have AT&T, and it's the same story.

Next will be Sprint, and the results will be the same.

Tbh the hype and lies happen quarterly and has been happening for two years now. The cycle will begin a new in a couple of days. I don't get why ppl bash apple so much.

You get used to it.... But wtg apple!

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I like how AT&T list iPhone "activations" instead of actual sales.
We all know a chunk of those activations are not new iPhone sales, but new activations for a used device.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
What difference does it make?
A lot.
There is no subsidy to recover when a used device is activated.
Remember... AT&T charges the same rate regardless of whether your phone was purchased from them or owned outright.

So this is a big deal when it comes to reporting revenue correctly.
3.7 million iPhones sold = less revenue than say 3.7 million activated where x% of the 3.7 million are fully owned devices with no subsidy to recoup.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
A lot.
Remember... AT&T charges the same rate regardless of whether your phone was purchased from them or owned outright.

3.7 million iPhones sold = less revenue than say 3.7 million activated where x% of the 3.7 million are fully owned devices with no subsidy to recoup.

wouldn't subsidy be part of cost of goods sold?

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I'm jonesin for today's financials from Apple. We should have plenty of ammunition to fire at fandroids and windolts later. :D We're winning! We're really winning!

Do you work for Apple? I couldn't care less for the ammunition from an earnings call to fire at "fandroids" and "windolts". I am an AAPL shareholder and I do care about profit, revenue and marketshare and growth potential in the coming quarters because it directly affects my portfolio.

You just might be taking the Apple versus Google system wars a bit too seriously here. Its fine to prefer Apple products but unless you are an employee you should be looking out for yourself as a consumer. Apple's products are top-notch right now. I bought them many years ago when they were top-notch, but switched to Dell, Microsoft and Palm when Apple was failing to produce quality in Jobs' absence. It took many years under Jobs and the coinciding of my next major purchasing cycles to get me to switch back to Apple. As long as they are producing quality stuff, enjoy it -- but Apple is a company and you are a consumer. Look out for your consumer dollars first should Apple ever lose its way again.

Last edited:

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
Do you work for Apple? I could care less for the ammunition from an earnings call to fire at "fandroids" and "windolts". I am an AAPL shareholder and I do care about profit, revenue and marketshare and growth potential in the coming quarters because it directly affects my portfolio.

You couldn't care less.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
AT&T sucks.

They took advantage of my grandpa just because he's old..........they added BS fees on his bills.

Also they have BS customer support.

Verizon is much better.

Verizon took advantage of my wife's grandpa because he is old. Sold him a USB stick for his computer so he could get Internet on his farm. He did not even know how to plug the thing in. He paid $40 per month for three years for 250MB allotment of data per month which he never used. My mother-in-law tried to cancel it from afar but they needed the account holder to do it. When I was visiting last I got them on the phone and one Verizon rep finally helped but then she had to transfer me to the person who tries to talk you out of closing an account.

I told them Grandpa was just buying an iPad with Verizon built in (AT&T has no coverage where he is). She asked if I wanted to transfer his $40 per month plan. I said "no" because the iPad plan was 4 times as much data for half the price with no commitment. She tried to tell me that there would be activation fees and I had to tell her that it was not so under the prepaid iPad plans. She then tried to tell me that they had changed their data plans recently and there would be, but I told her that I had indeed read the terms of their new data plans and that they were indeed still advertising commitment-free $20 per month for 1GB of data on the iPad. Finally, she made me put Grandpa back on the phone to get authorization once more to cancel the account. Now, my only hope is that the account really does cancel and they stop automatically withdrawing $40 per month from his bank account for a measly 250MB of data. My fear is that Verizon will call him back and try to get him to change his mind and reactivate his account during some kind of "where did we go wrong survey".

So while AT&T is evil, so is Verizon. Both are necessary evils until we get a carrier with decent coverage who puts the customer first.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I like how AT&T list iPhone "activations" instead of actual sales.
We all know a chunk of those activations are not new iPhone sales, but new activations for a used device.

Why would they list sales? Activations seems like a much better metric for a wireless provider to me. :confused:

MrShoehorn

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
seriously....just release the new iphone on Aug. Really expect a nice redesign.

----------

True. But with the new iphone 4g....and data caps with ATT. I will move to Verizon. Nothing keeping me at ATT anymore.

Yes because Verizon doesn't have data caps.... Sarcasm.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Yes because Verizon doesn't have data caps.... Sarcasm.

Well they don't really cap, they just charge you for another block of data.

When I got my Verizon 4S back in January, I signed up for the 2GB plan knowing that I would never use it and I haven't. For some reason, an extra charge for $10 for an extra gig of data showed up on my bill last month for back in January. I never used that extra gig and on average use less than half a gig. They refunded my money.

See, they just charge you for more data. This is exactly what AT&T does if you go over a limited plan.

kdarling

macrumors P6
If I am correct (not 100% sure I am) other telcos were approached by Apple in the beginning and all told Apple to pound sand.

Pound sand? That's a bit overdramatic :)

Apple went to Verizon in mid 2005, months before having a touch prototype (Apple was still thinking of doing an iPod clickwheel type phone at the time).

So consider Verizon's position: they hear about the awful ROKR coming out, and now Apple wants to make another phone with no third party apps, no GPS, no 3G... oh and they don't want the carrier to subsidize it for the customers, but instead give that subsidy to Apple. Sounds about as attractive as roadkill.

Of course, now I'm being dramatic, athough that's exactly the deal Apple later made with AT&T.

In any case, Verizon didn't throw them out; reportedly they just kept putting Apple off until Apple finally stopped calling a year later.

And only AT&T would take the iPhone. Hence their 3 year exclusivity deal.

Even AT&T (Cingular) didn't take it right away. They knew about Apple's plans a half year before Verizon did, and yet they didn't sign a contract with Apple for another year and a half, in mid-2006.

By that time Apple was halfway through their project, with no one wanting their phone, so AT&T was able to force an incredibly long exclusive... which, as it turned out, gave Android plenty of room to gain a foothold in the US, that might otherwise not have happened.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Why would they list sales? Activations seems like a much better metric for a wireless provider to me. :confused:
Different revenue based on the type of transaction.
An activation of a new device has more upfront costs than the activation of a device that costs AT&T nothing.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Different revenue based on the type of transaction.
An activation of a new device has more upfront costs than the activation of a device that costs AT&T nothing.

I understand the difference. I just think new activations is a more appropriate metric for a wireless company. I want to know how many iPhones they added to their network. Not necessarily how many they subisidized/sold. Though that is an interesting number as well.

Don't all three US carriers report activations?

boronathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
A lot.

I mean why would sales make a difference to att? They're the provider.

Edit nvm asked and answered above

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
You forgot how they forgot to upgrade their network while riding high on iphone bandwagon and only started doing upgrades when other carriers started getting iphones. Before that it was overloaded overcommitted garbage.

Thats absurd and completely discredits anything you have to say. AT&T only started doing upgrades when other carriers started getting iPhones?? AT&T did no upgrades during the first three years of their exclusive? LOL, that has to be the dumbest post I have seen in awhile....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.