iPhone Reservation, come in at 6 or 7 PM

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xGrill, Jun 17, 2010.

1. xGrill macrumors member

Hi,

I was wondering if I have reserved an iPhone, will they truly reserve it until end of day? I have heard mixed reports on this, and the Apple store rep I talked to wasn't 100% sure. He told me that the iPhone should be reserved until end of day, but "highly suggested" I come at 7 in the morning. Unfortunately, I have 2 summer school classes and won't be able to get to the store until 6 or 7 at night.

2. outphase macrumors 65816

If the reserve line is dying down, I highly doubt the Apple Store will still make the non-reserve line wait.

3. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

why not get there at 7 am? what time do you have to be on class?

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

If you go that late in the day, you risk not getting an iPhone even if it is reserved. As the bottom of the email Apple sent confirming your reservation, it mentions that you are not guaranteed an iPhone since it is first come, first served.

If you get there within the first few hours, your phone will likely be there still.

5. MrSingh macrumors regular

regent street uk have confirmed on 2 separate occasions that they will honour the email they sent me - until 'close of business'. i told them if they don't due to the travelling i will be very peed-off.

6. nygfan80 macrumors regular

7. Krispy162 macrumors regular

Krispy162

I reserved mine using the new app. I never rec'd any emails but I did a snap shot of the page when I finished the reserving process. You think that's good enough?:confused:

8. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I don't believe that's what it says. It talks about how even if you're pre-authorized it doesn't mean you'll get it when you come into the store.

Everyone I've talked to (including an Apple retail store employee) says they hold a phone for you, the whole day.

9. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Call the store and see if you are on the list.

10. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

It says:
    "Pre-authorization does not guarantee iPhone availability at an Apple Retail Store. iPhone is sold on a first-come, first-served basis."

This makes me believe that they will not be holding iPhones and that you should get there early if you want one. I have not called my local Apple Store yet though to confirm.

11. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

You could do a small survey of stores.

Call a few, and ask each store directly if they will in fact hold your reserved phone until the close of business and I think you will find they all will say that is the case.

What may happen is if there are people waiting that day who did not reserve a phone up until the time they close, they may let those people buy phones that have not been claimed. Say 1 minute after their official closing time.

I think this is more likely than the reserve line dying down well before close, and Apple saying that, "Well if they REALLY wanted the phone they reserved, they would have been here by now...sell to anyone waiting!".
    More likely.....because every employee I talked to at my local store has individually said they will in fact have my phone at the end of the day as long as I show up that day.

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I haven't been to a launch day that late, so would someone who has speak to the possibility that the line would be longer than the store hours will allow? For example, could you get to the store at 6 PM to be told they will close before you can get in?

Ah, summer school... Those where the only classes I could reliably pass.

13. xGrill thread starter macrumors member

I live 45 minutes, without traffic, from my nearest Apple Store. My class starts at 10:00 and if I am not there at 10, I can't get in (he locks the door). The problem is that with morning traffic, it will take me probably 2 hours to get to class, and since I don't know how long I will have to wait to get it, I don't want to risk it. I then have a class at 1 which lasts until 4, and then again, rush hour will block my view of the Apple store.

I guess I will risk it.

14. raremage macrumors 6502a

Then you're mistaken. A reserved phone will be held. They will be released after the first day and be available (presumably) the second day for walk-ins.

People who walk in and line up for phones on Thursday will be able to make purchases from a second group of inventory available for that purchase which has no effect on the reserved stock.

15. web4fun macrumors member

That is correct. I spoke to 2 different Apple reps at different stores and was told that very thing. The only thing is that they suggested that you come in as early as possible but I was assured that my reserved phone would be waiting for me. The disclaimer at the bottom of the email is a bunch of legal (CYA) jargon. Wish Apple would release a statement to clarify.

16. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I think it should be there, but it's so dicy that I'm just going to get in line early and get it over with. I'll be pissed if I wait all day to find it was sold.