iPhone reset - apps alphabetized

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mac-Tim, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Mac-Tim macrumors newbie

I was using the ESPN scores app this evening to check the score of a hockey game. When I was done, I pushed the home button on the phone to close the app. The phone's screen suddenly went blank and then the phone rebooted (with the white Apple logo). When it came back up, all of my apps were re-ordered alphabetically, my settings were reset to the default (I think - it's now asking me to enter my lock-screen PIN every time I turn it on rather than only after 4 hours).

The key thing is that I had TEN pages of meticulously arranged applications which are now basically randomized (albeit alphabetically). Like I have the time to go through and organize them ALL OVER AGAIN???

I am not a happy iPhone camper right now!

Anyone else ever see this or have it happen to them?

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

You can right click on the phone in iTunes and restore from your last backup. That should change everything back to where you had it before. It does't restore the whole iPhone, just the last backup.

3. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

This happened to my GF too - she did restore from the backup and the apps were arranged as described above.

4. Mac-Tim thread starter macrumors newbie

That did the trick for me. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm still curious how/why an iphone would suddenly just reset itself like that.

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It just happens sometimes. Mine did this a few weeks ago while listening to music. It just rebooted but it didn't reset anything at all like yours did.

Lately I've been having iTunes and the app store crash on my phone as soon as I open them.

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

Also note that you can now organize your apps in iTunes, not just dragging apps across pages on the phone itself. This is MUCH faster!

7. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

Are your iPhones jailbroken or standard. Just curious to see if your errors are due to the phone being jailbroken, or if it can happen to anyone. :confused:

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's only if you updated to 3.1 or above.

9. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Excellent tip! Thanks you.