iphone - reset? does it really erase all?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nolegirl01, Sep 15, 2012.

1. nolegirl01 macrumors regular

Question: When you are about to sell your iphone or give it away to someone and you do a hard reset to delete everything from the iphone...does it really delete everything or can someone hack into your phone and retrieve everything? I was just wondering if it was possible?

2. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

3. bryxcore macrumors newbie

yeah. it deletes everything. i sold my 3gs a couple days ago. i think as long as you dont connect to your apple account, nothing will be downloaded from your icloud (after you reset your phone)

4. nolegirl01 thread starter macrumors regular

How can you make sure everything is truly deleted? Is there another way to do a full reset so people can't get your information back?

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

No, Apple got burned a few years back because it wasn't secure at all. They moved to a system that overwrites the entire memory with 1s.

However, I always suggest people disable iMessage first to make sure their device is no longer associated with Apple's servers. There have been cases of wiped phones continuing to receive iMessages for the old user. Not sure if Apple ever fixed this or not.

6. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Excellent point. There are threads from after the release of iPhone 4s (when iMessage came into play) detailing problems of people who discovered this unpleasant fact after their previous iPhones were activated by the new owners.

When you factory reset your old iPhone, it can take a long time for the process to complete, depending on how much data you have stored. Be patient. :)

7. opnr2000 macrumors member

You should really just download the same firmware you are currently on and use that to format by holding down shift when pressing restore. This way everything on the phone gets wiped clean and a fresh OS is installed.

The iPhone will be setup as a new phone when the buyer connects it to iTunes.

8. OMG2GDTOBTRUE macrumors newbie

How do you even do that on pc or on ur phone??

9. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Why don't you just download the IPSW from iTunes and restore that way? It downloads a fresh IPSW from Apple then restores. Plus it's more convenient then having to find a good IPSW on the internet.

10. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

You guys realize this is a 2 year old thread right?