iPhone Resets Paused Songs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by norbiu, Jun 17, 2010.

1. norbiu macrumors member

I really hate this. I usually listen to audiobooks, podcasts or longer audios that are not inside the Podcast or Audiobook directories. So they're uploaded to the iPhone like a normal song, usually inside a playlist.

If if listen to an episode of a podcast and pause it at 0:23:51, then proceed to look up something online, or play a game or use the phone for a longer period, the episode resets back to 0:00:00.

Podcasts or audiobooks that are recognized by the iPhone as being such, never do this. The phone remembers the time even if I reset my phone.

What can I do about this? It's really annoying!

2. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

That shouldn't happen. The iPod app remembers your last position. In fact, it usually stays running in the background even when it's not playing. The only time I've had the app lose my last position was when I do some crazy jailbreak stuff that crashes the iPod app or forces me to do a hard reset. If it's happening spontaneously I'd recommend restarting and/or restoring...

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

There's definitely a setting for iPod where you can select for it to remember the position ...

4. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

It does this for songs for me too. However, I have many issues with the iPod function.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Check your settings. There is an option to start from beginning or from pause/bookmark.

6. norbiu thread starter macrumors member

There's a "start from beginning" option, but only for videos.

7. quid squid macrumors regular

noticed this happening when I switched to 4.0

8. hryan4740 macrumors regular

hryan4740

Mine does this sometimes too. I'm a 2g user. Sometimes it can't remember what I was listening to and starts playing something completely random from my music collection.

9. norbiu thread starter macrumors member

Yep, usually when I have multiple items in a playlist, it either resets the song that was paused (track 5 / 10), or it starts playing the first item from the playlist (track 1 / 10) from the beginning.

10. wilburpan macrumors regular

This is an old thread, but I had this issue tonight, and ran across this thread in my search for a solution.

I think the issue might be a glitch in the mp3 encoding for the podcast that won't remember its position. I converted the podcast that was giving me an issue from mp3 to AAC format, deleted the mp3 version of the podcast, and now the remember position feature acts as it's supposed to.