iPhone restore corrupted. How to extract info from iPad/MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by icebergx, Oct 18, 2016.

1. icebergx macrumors regular

Hi all,
    For some reason, my iPhone 6 (iOS 10) died yesterday and wouldn't power up, so I thought I'd try to restore it from a backup on my MBP on MacOS Sierra. Unfortunately iTunes informed me that the most recent (and only) backup was corrupted.
    I did have my iPad backed up, so ultimately i chose to restore my iPhone with that, then connected to iCloud to get my contacts, photos, etc.

Luckily the iPhone did eventually power up but a few things are not really ideal...

All my old iMessages and SMS are still on my iPad and MBP. Is the any way to get these back onto my iPhone?

Are there are things that I'm potentially missing out on, that might have been on my previous backup?

Thanks

2. Cordorb macrumors member

I use a third party recovery program on a PC to get that type of data back from old backups.
    The backups need to be saved with itune backup with out trying on the Encryption option.

I think that one or others will run on a MAC - whith any 3'd party software make sure you can trust them.

I keep 3 backups of iPhone : Icloud and 2 others with the with only the icloud and and other using Encryption.

If a phone is slow to start it may just need more charging time or if a iPhone 7 there was a new update

3. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone else? I'd really like to get all my old messages back, and they're all on my MBP and iPad, but I work out a way to get them onto my iPhone.

Also, Ive noticed that if I send an iMessage to to a friend via their number, followed by another message via their apple id, the messages appear as two separate iMessage threads on my iPhone, not both under the same person. However, when i look at the same messages on my MBP, the both appear under the same iMessage thread. How can I get them to appear under one thread, on my iPhone?

Thanks.