iphone restore + itunes questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vivithemage, Sep 1, 2010.

1. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I wiped my PC, and did not back up anything itunes related...so I am wondering a few things.

1) Can you change where the backups to your iphone are stored? I know where they go, but i'd rather have them go somewhere else, and not waste SSD space.

2) Is it possible to pull playlists off the iphone?

3) Is it possible to have itunes figure out my current APP setup, and sync down the files? I hate resetting the locations/folders for my iphone, it'd take forever!

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

see Bolded for answers

3. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I just don't want the backups stored on my SSD at all, I guess I could write a script that copies that directory, then deletes it at the source. 1.5GB in a backup is somewhat wasteful on my 120GB SSD.

I'll look at Senuti, thanks! All I want to do is recover the playlist, I still have the audio.

For my third one, do you know how itunes backs up how you have your app's on your iphone? IE, what folders, what panel, etc? I want itunes to keep that structure in tact if I select the app sync option. I do that so when I have to restore, it will know where my apps go, and I do not have to re download them.

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

haha BTW Hi neighbor ;) just saw your location.

I fully understand your 1st need. I copy my backups off to an external Drobo and keep them off my system. I don't need to drag around iPod / iPhone backups with me wherever I go with my MBP!

On your last request, I don't exactly know how that works. I haven't had to restore my applications before, If I remember, it keeps your locations in memory when you sync, and likely backs them up that way.

In my experience, when restoring my iPod touch, I have never had to re-arrange my icons afterword. They were just in the correct spot, as long as I had a sync / backup of that configuration. I believe that it is automatic in some ways.

5. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Nice, twin cities, where about? I am in uptown.

Problem is, without the APP sync selected, itunes will not copy off my mobile apps, and I THINK the location it won't copy.

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Currently live in the Eden Prairie area.

Ok. That explains it. I currently do use the application sync, and just check what applications I want to utilize. But, I also try to keep both my iPod touch, and iPhone setup with similar applications / layouts.

7. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Yup, and if you reformatted your PC, and forgot to pull the itunes data, I THINK you have to just reset it all up, I was just hoping someone would have a work around, so that I do not have to do that.

I grew up in EP/chan. HWY 4 and Hillcrest CT S near the high school.

8. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Well sorry I wasn't of too much help!

And cool, I know the area well. Have / had friends that lived in that area too growing up. Will have to keep an eye out for the next big Apple store launch coming up ;) .

now that iTunes 10 is out, I am going to look deeper into iPhone / iPod touch Synch issues. I am selling an old iPod touch and want to get a new one. Would like it to have a similar screen layout as my iPhone 4, and outgoing iPod Touch.

9. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Uptown apple store is pretty cool ... maybe somoene else has an insight on my iphone app sync stuff.