iPhone Restore question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Patchfoo, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Patchfoo macrumors member

When doing a "restore" to my iPhone in iTunes, does the data come back automatically (i.e. notes, stocks, settings, usage stats)?

I don't want to do a restore (in order to upgrade) if I can't get my stuff back easily. I've just never done a restore and I'm not sure what happens.

2. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

yep once u have restore itunes will activate ur phone (as long as u have a contract) and then ask if u wud like to make it a new phone or restore form back up a restore will sync all settings.

3. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

Yeah, the option to restore your previous settings is great. All your notes, stocks, weather settings, even your alarm settings and auto birghtness levels are restored....

A piece of cake my friend.

And it's the same with an unlocked/jailbroken phone as well. Once it's up and running it will give the option to resore your previous settings.

4. Patchfoo thread starter macrumors member

5. drwatson1234 macrumors newbie

I have a similar question:

If I have a jailbroken phone, can I sync my phone up with iTunes before I restore, so that it will save all my settings just before you wipe it clean? My concern is syncing the phone with iTunes if I have used Ziphone 2.5 to jail-break it. Thanks for your help!

6. Patchfoo thread starter macrumors member

You can definitely still sync it with iTunes even if it's jailbroken. Glad to help (since I was helped too!).

7. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

Absolutely you can.

I have a jailbroken phone which is also unlocked and there is no issue with iTunes at all. Syncs and reads the iPhone with no issues.

8. drwatson1234 macrumors newbie

I appreciate the responses. I was hoping that I wouldn't be limited to the music selection I currently had on the phone previous to jail-breaking it. However, I was hesitant to try and sync it in the event that iTunes might recognize the jail-break and make me restore it back to factory settings.

Again, thanks for the replies.

9. Dadeleine macrumors member

a follow up question...I'm taking my phone back to the apple store...it's unlocked and I want to make sure they don't know...will ziphone's restore feature do that?

10. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

Yep, open ZiPhone 2.5GUI and click on Refurbish and this will reset it back to the factory setting as if you just bought it, Apple would'nt know that its been Activated/jailbroken/unlocked.

11. Dadeleine macrumors member

12. Jurgenz macrumors newbie

Restore jailbroken iPhone

Hello,
    I have a jailbroken iPhone and installed a third-party application and mi iPhone died, now it doesnt turn on anymore. Im wondering if I can just restore it with iTunes? If I do that will I lose all my applications?
    Thank you :(

13. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

Had a similiar issue with u 2 weeks back. I cant fire up the iPhone and it keeps stating that there is no SIM card present - connected to itunes it just yields the same result. Had to do a reset via DFU mode, restored to 2.2 - all my official apps and settings were there, but 3rd party jailbroken apps are gone. So I had to re-jailbreak it and download from cydia once again.

14. retrokid23 macrumors newbie

15. Dadeleine macrumors member

16. Bitgod macrumors regular

Bitgod

Really? I had problems with this in the past. So if I do a backup in itunes first, then upgrade to 2.2, after that if I restore, all my iapps store iapp data will still be around? Hmm, is it because I've been going the pwnagetool route and restoring, when I should do the upgrade from JBed 2.1 to stock 2.2, then use quickpwn on it? I just don't want to loose my game data every time I upgrade the firmware, heh.