iPhone restore questions

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by roland.g, Mar 30, 2010.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I know this is probably covered somewhere, but I am a bit too tired to go digging for it so I apologize. Wanting to know what is or specifically what is not included other than photos on the camera roll in an iPhone backup so that I can restore my iPhone and re-sync all my data.

Does it set up MobileMe accounts, syncing, with contacts and all right from the backup or do they need to be re-added through the phone settings once the restore and backup is complete.

My iPhone has been suddenly cutting audio out during calls, other people can't hear me though I can hear them, so I am hoping it isn't hardware related on an out of warranty 3G and that a software restore might help solve this problem.

Thanks.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you want to ensure it's not software related, you need to restore in DFU mode and setup as new not restore from a backup. Most stuff can be synced except game saves and app settings and text messages.

A backup includes everything but music, photos, videos, and apps.

3. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

I talked to AppleCare this morning and they basically said the same thing, restore the software and set it up anew. So that just means writing down or changing my playlists, albums, apps, home screen layouts and re-setting up my mail accounts, preferences, etc. for all apps and the phone in general. And I guess I lose my current SMS history, which I honestly rarely reference. I need to import my camera roll first and a few things like that. I just hope this fixes the problem.

BTW, what is DFU mode?