Iphone restore to remove jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by panda100123, Apr 22, 2012.

1. panda100123 macrumors newbie

Is there a difference between:

'Restore' through Itunes
    and
    'Erace all content and settings' by the device?

And my next question is, since whenever I try eracing all the content and settings and it freezes, I want to restore through Itunes to make it factory conditioned, but will i be able to use an iCloud backup even though I use iTunes for restoring?

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Yes there's a difference. Only erase all content and settings on the phone actually erases all content. Restoring via itunes doesn't erase everything if you are truly paranoid. When using the wipe feature which takes an hour or so, the phone will need to be restored at that point.

3. panda100123 thread starter macrumors newbie

What exactly will restoring through Itunes do if I don't erace all content and settings? I want to get rid of a Jailbreak I have. I have a tethered 5.1. I tried it for the first time and i want to remove it. I have a lot of apps that I've worked on with data that I would like to save, which is why I need iCloud.

4. Mystic Eddy macrumors regular

Restoring will ultimately have the same effect as erasing all contents & settings then restoring from a backup. The process will just be a lot quicker! The jailbreak will be wiped once the restore has completed.

5. panda100123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Will I be able to have the option to restore my iCloud backup if I use Itunes? I want my app data to be saved, as for my contacts too.

6. panda100123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, restoring it on Itunes will delete everything? Or will it be like updating your device and keep everything on?

7. Mystic Eddy macrumors regular

It will delete everything, then give you the option to restore from a backup on the computer. I believe the only way to restore from an iCloud backup is through the phone.

8. panda100123 thread starter macrumors newbie

So would it be possible to keep app data like progress for an app if I use the computer to restore my iPhone? I had a ton of apps with data that I really want to keep.

9. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

YES there is a HUGE difference. Restoring from iTunes is fine but never, I repeat NEVER use the Erase All Contents and Settings button on a jailbroken iPhone. All it will do is brick the phone..

10. silviya macrumors newbie

And if I have made this is there a solution for my not working Iphone

11. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Restore to factory settings.