iphone restore/unlock issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dwp85, Aug 16, 2011.

1. dwp85 macrumors newbie

I have an Iphone 3gs was was under contract with tesco mobile UK. It is now out of contract. I have since taken out a contract on another phone. However I don't like it and want to use my Iphone again.

Now for the problems.

When I got the new phone I destroyed my old sim card that was been used in my iphone. I then performed a factory reset in preparation for selling the iphone. However before selling I had a change of heart.

The situation I am currently in...

My iphone is going to the default factory reset screen and is requesting to connect to itunes and to have an sim card inserted. When I put my vodafone UK sim in it won’t accept it, because my phone is still locked to tesco mobile UK.

What I need to do is unlock my mobile, however I need to know if an unlocking can be done from the factory reset screen that is displayed after one is done.

Can anyone provide me with advice on this, also is anyone able to recommend the best free way or the cheapest way to unlock an iphone 3gs.

David

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The best way is to call the carrier the phone is locked to and see if they will unlock it. If they won't, then your next best option is to sell the iPhone and get a new one that is factory unlocked or locked to your new carrier. If you really want to unlock your old phone and your carrier won't do it then your last option is to jailbreak and unlock, but with that phone you will have to use the iPad baseband to unlock which has some problems. You can search to find other threads that will help you with the process.

3. dwp85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Could I try and get a sim card that would work with the iphone and then perform a unlock in the normal manner?

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

For the iPhone the normal way of unlocking it is having your carrier add the IMEI number to Apple's database of unlocked phones and then at the next sync iTunes will tell you it's unlocked and any sim will work. So your current SIM should be enough if your old carrier is willing to unlock it.

5. dwp85 thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand now. So the issue is with the carrier and apple.

Thank you for your help. I will contact my prevoius carrier and see if I can sort any of this out.