iPhone restore - will it restore folders with apps inside

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TwoBytes, Sep 19, 2010.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

As per the title; imagine you have to restore after spending weeks creating folders, organising, deliberating, moving pages, etc..but you restore only to find all your apps are out of their folders

The last restore i done which was many months ago, the iPhone didn't restore folders. Has anything changed? Any tips? How could apple overlooks? Or am i whining for nothing and it just works?

2. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

I found the solution! Only a week old info...see how my loyality to macrumours? I check here first and the apple forums later...

A copy and past for the solution. Hope it helps someone here;

1: Connect to your phone to iTunes (make sure this is before you tried to restore it or lost all your icons)
    2: Right click your phone in the left hand menu and select "Back up" (record the time so you know which backup to use later)
    3: wait for that to finish
    4: If you need to do a full restore (firmware and software) click on your phone in the left hand menu then click the settings tab then click the restore button.
    If you don't need to do a firmware restore (you do need to do this if apple has officially unlocked your phone or you have paid your phone carrier to do it) then just right click your phone in the left hand menu and click "restore from backup" it's important to note the difference between the two methods the first is a full firmware restore the second just puts your files back on the phone and does not touch the firmware.
    5: Let it finish. Don't let it sync cancel it if it tries.
    6: Once it's finished or it tries to start syncing and you have cancelled it click on your phone in the left hand menu and select "Restore from backup" (yes you have to do it twice it's not a typo). Make sure you select the backup you made in step 2.
    7: let it finish and this time let is sync. It should take a while and once finished all your folders and apps will be there.

3. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

iTunes does something very weird with this, and the first time it happened I got so pissed thinking all my folders would be gone.

After you restore and it starts syncing, in the Apps tab it will SHOW all your apps scattered out unorganized across the various home screens (in the virtual home screen where you organize your apps). But if you just let it sync it actually does restore the folders.

The first time it happened, I stopped the sync and spent 30 minutes reorganizing everything only to find out later what I just wrote.

4. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I just went through this, and followed the directions musio posted and it worked (thanks!!)

But based on rorschach's post, all you actually need to do is basically sync twice?

I'm not sure why it would need 2 syncs. I mean I'm sure there's some technical reason, but like many others I thought after the first sync that I needed to manually re-organize everything. Apple should fix this up, especially right about now that millions will be getting new phones...