iPhone Restore

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rure, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Rure macrumors newbie

I'm in sort of a dilemma where I cannot reach my original computer to restore my iPhone. I recall that if you want to restore an iPhone to a specific firmware, eg 4.0.1, then you need your original computer. But my Macbook Hard drive died earlier, so I don't have access to it anymore.

My iPhone 3GS is in DFU now (I had some corrupted files in Cydia and it caused me to be stuck in the 'Sad iPhone State' so I needed to restore), and whenever I plug it into my desktop's iTunes and try for a custom 4.0.1 firmware restore, it shows me an error message.

Is there any other way to restore it to 4.0.1 instead of restoring it to 4.0.2? Or is there any other solutions? Thank you

2. Rure thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved, just edited my windows driver's host file.

Sorry~ =)

3. stabme macrumors newbie

i am faced with same problem...COuld you kindly explain how or what you did...

4. dyn macrumors 68030

If you have a jailbreak you do not want to automatically or accidentally update your iOS because it can break the jailbreak. You can't just disable the update check in iTunes so you need to do something different. A very effective way is pointing the update address to a different server. This can be done by editing the hosts file to point the hostname of the update server to a non-valid ip-address. When you want to restore the iPhone this can cause a bit of a problem so you need to remove that entry from your hosts file which is probably what the OP did. In Windows you'll find the hosts file at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc. You can edit the file with a simple text editor like notepad.